Gears

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I am getting my gears indexed and aligned and running really well while on the workstand. When I am on the bike though the gears jump all over the place. The chain will move to a harder gear then back down 1 or 2 smaller cogs all by itself. Then when the bike is back on the stand, the shifting is fine.

Any ideas?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    How new is the drivetrain? If the chain or cassette are worn then they will skip under pressure - turning by hand on your stand isn't enough force to do that.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • seanorawe
    k-dog wrote:
    How new is the drivetrain? If the chain or cassette are worn then they will skip under pressure - turning by hand on your stand isn't enough force to do that.

Its a year old, I posted pics of the cassette and rings on here a few weeks ago and they are fine. I also have a new chain on. I have changed the gear cable and indexed the gears. Ill start the process of indexing over again but its baffling that its fine on the stand.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    Ah

I have inspected further, and my chain stay has snapped. Hopefully ill get a warranty replacement.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Wow, that's a bit extreme!

At least it was obvious and as it's fairly new you shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • seanorawe
    Hopefully not. Planet X have said it should be a routine frame swap. How much power have I put in to that area? :lol:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    what frame is it out of interest?
  • seanorawe
    Planet x London Road
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    seanorawe wrote:
    I am getting my gears indexed and aligned and running really well while on the workstand. When I am on the bike though the gears jump all over the place. The chain will move to a harder gear then back down 1 or 2 smaller cogs all by itself. Then when the bike is back on the stand, the shifting is fine.

Any ideas?

i always adjust the gears in the stand, then test ride and adjust again if required - often in the stand is different to on the road (and you don't ride it on the stand!)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    dgunthor wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:

Any ideas?

i always adjust the gears in the stand, then test ride and adjust again if required - often in the stand is different to on the road (and you don't ride it on the stand!)

So: set up gears on stand then ride the bike and if the gears aren't right you readjust them until they are right? Cool. Great plan.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    dgunthor wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:

Any ideas?

So: set up gears on stand then ride the bike and if the gears aren't right you readjust them until they are right? Cool. Great plan.

can't tell if you are being sarcastic there - yes, that's what I do and it works just great. a bike under load (rider) is going to behave differently to a bike under no load