Selling complete bike or split?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited June 2016 in MTB general
I'm thinking of selling one of my bikes as its a bit overkill for my needs now and wondered if it would be better to break it down and sell the components separately on eBay/Pinkbike etc rather than the complete bike?

It does seem complete bikes can take some shifting second hand (for a relatively decent price at least) but good, modern components can get a good bit of interest on eBay - and they can be posted unlike a full bike which I'd rather not do.

Do you think its worth its worth breaking the bike or selling it complete as a local pick up?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the bike and the components.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mattcee
    It's a Vitus Escarpe VRX 2015 and has reverb stealth dropper, SRAM x1 groupset, SLC brakes, superstar DS25 wheels etc and brand new forks as the old one should be replaced under warranty.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably better off selling it in bits, you won't add much to the selling price of the bike with the upgrades. If you have the old bits then maybe stick them on to sell the bike and sell the new parts loose.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattcee
    The bike is standard except the wheels/tyres but sold the originals already on eBay.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Vitus isn't a brand people look for so it won't sell quickly. Strip it and the components will sell quick enough, the frame might take a while and won't get you much though.
  • Mattcee
    Vitus isn't a brand people look for so it won't sell quickly. Strip it and the components will sell quick enough, the frame might take a while and won't get you much though.

Good answer. That was kind of my thought too.
    Might even keep the gearset as well to use on my hardtail build if i don't buy a complete bike.