New helmet for a sweaty bu66er....

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of getting a new helmet, the Met Giro is getting on a bit and after a warm ride last night I thought I was going to blow steam out my ears as my brain boiled, I was squeezing the moisture out the liner about every 30-40 minutes.

Now I do know fit and comfort are very important but I'd like some suggestions on what will keep my bonce cool as well, I've had the Urge All Mountain recommended as having fairly decent ventilation than it looks like it will have but importantly an excellent wicking system, and the Scott Lin with massive air vent channels.

Any other suggestions?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Pricey but those smith helmets look good for ventilation.

I'm the same and my fox flux helmet the fabric liner pads are just rubbish and have fallen apart due to sweating.

I've seen some helmets with gel pads for the forehead I wonder if these are any good
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    For a less covered, but very well ventilated helmet, the Giro Hex is a great helmet, love my bright green one.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I do find that whatever pad is in the helmet, it simply soaks up sweat, the thicker the pad the more sweat it soaks up. Are there helmets without this problem?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    Pricey but those smith helmets look good for ventilation.

I'm the same and my fox flux helmet the fabric liner pads are just rubbish and have fallen apart due to sweating.

I've seen some helmets with gel pads for the forehead I wonder if these are any good
    A friend has one with a silicon strip, claims that as its much narrower than the normal pad type it doesn't trap heat behind it in the same way and allows more sweat to evaporate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.