Removing Khamsin freehub body from the axle

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I'm a bit stumped. The bearings need replacing on the freehub body itself (not the main wheel bearings) and I've got to the point of having taken the axle out of the wheel with the freehub attached but can't get it off.

Videos show people just pulling it off by hand without a care in the world but this doesn't seem to be an option.

I think the axle is inserted from the drive side so you should be able to hammer it out from the other but it's not going anywhere. Only a year old so can't be that seized I'd have thought. I don't think I'm missing any collars or clips or anything.

Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The freehub body must be removed by a 12 mm Allen wrench.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Keezx wrote:

No - he's already removed the axle from the wheel so LC is correct that you can just tap the axle out from the nds. Can get stuck a bit though as the bearings rust badly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Rolf F wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

No - he's already removed the axle from the wheel so LC is correct that you can just tap the axle out from the nds. Can get stuck a bit though as the bearings rust badly.

Thanks. The outer bearing I can see is certainly rusty. Not sure I can hit it harder with a hammer than I have been though!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Soak the mating surfaces with penetrating oil maybe?

It's as well not to thump it too hard - you might reasonably hope that only the outer bearing needs to be removed. If the inner can be saved (eg by not damaging it by too much hammer shocks) then you'll save yourself the much harder task of replacing that bearing. The outer is a doddle in comparison.
    Faster than a tent.......