Shifter swap tips? (Tiagra 4600 to 105 5700)

EBinSK
EBinSK Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I bought a used bike that has a bit of a mix of components installed by the original owner. My least favourite part is the Tiagra 4600 shifters with external cable routing and gear indicators so I ordered a set of 105 5700 shifters and I'm getting ready to swap them.

Do you have any tips or recommended reading before I do the swap? This is my first time doing this kind of work on a bike so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible before I start peeling off bar tape.

IMG_2762.jpg

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Personally I'd leave the 4600 on - the 5700 under bar routing has more friction and the shifting won't be great. 5800 11 speed is a different matter :-)
    4600 also easier to change the gear inner and outer cables.

If you do want to fit them, you can leave the clamp from the 4600 on the bars as the 5700 should be identical. You'll need to size the outer cable for the gears but the brake and rear gear by the derailleur should be the same size (assume you'll renew the brake outer while you are in there - your choice)

edit: nice looking bike!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    I have done exactly this swap and it was a doddle. Before changing I spent a couple of years wishing the cabling was hidden and I haven't regretted changing at all. Looks nicer, the shifting is better and I'm not aware of any friction problems - they have worked flawlessly for 4+ years now, almost daily in all weathers with minimum maintenance.

I agree changing cables is trickier but no big deal if you can see what you are doing. Get the shifter at the right end before trying to thread. I found inserting a short clean piece of wire backwards from the exit point helped me identify the threading point (remove it before putting the new cable in, obviously).
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I also did this on my Allez, and was a brilliant upgrade. Visually looks much better, and the 105 have a trim adjuster for front derailleur allowing you to use more of the rear cassette without rub if that's your thing.

In terms of actually doing the job, piece of cake if you have the right tools (Stanley knife, Allen keys, tape, cable cutters, pliers etc)

For me when I did it first time round (built a frame myself since) having a decent set of cable cutters was vital. I mullered a new cable trying to use naff pliers, bought some decent cutters and it all became a doddle.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Will echo how useful good cable cutters are. Make a huge difference.
  • EBinSK
    EBinSK Posts: 5
    Thanks guys. That makes me feel better about spending $35 on some Park CN-10 cable cutters. I'm still waiting on a couple things, including the cutters, but I made a little progress today. Seat, pedals and tires swapped. Bar tape removed.

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just take your time, get the cable lengths right and you'll be fine :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D