In or out, who has changed their mind and secondly who voted today

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
edited June 2016 in The cake stop
So countless pages of differing views on the forum, probably the worse ran electoral campaign ever, on both sides which means I'm interested in two aspects.

Has anyone had their view altered or changed because of the views on this forum?

Has anyone voted?

I'll start..... I'm firmly with the remain view and I voted earlier.

Nothing other than a casual interest of the impact of differing views. :D
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Hell will freeze over before I change my voting intention.

Off to vote this evening.

Remain.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Voted and all the stuff in the run up just reinforced my view that there was absolutely no sensible reason for voting out.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Very much in as everybody that's read any of the threads has probably guessed. I doubt that many have changed their minds if they were firmly one way or the other in spite of what's been said. With any luck some of the undecided may have been helped to make their minds up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    It's the internet so no one is going to admit they were wrong...

I am obviously very biased being an EU migrant in another EU country so i was always going to be in. I have also strived to look at information that is unbiased and through that have developed the opinion that the vast majority of the problems associated with the EU are actually the failing of the UK.

By being abroad I also avoid a lot of the atmosphere of the country which in this case has been a good thing (but led to a shock at the GE for example, so i have tried to at least dip in to it a bit this time)

On the other hand, the only really good argument to leave came from my uncle/aunt/cousin who run a small farm to breed Competition Horses and suffer under the weight of EU bureaucracy and who believe that by Leaving the EU that it will all cease (I am very skeptical but I ve no idea really...). That was an argument that I could see the reasons behind...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to be out, but on the basis of the EU thread and some very good points to make me understand that my opinion was a load of bollox I will wholeheartedly be voting in.

Not so much because I think we'll be doomed if we're out (we may be fine). But because we truly are better together in almost every way and if we want to make a change, to make it from within. Be the change you want to see in the world and all that.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    in until I die

But I genuinely learnt some interesting stuff that I either looked up (UK fishing industry) or was posted by forumites who are experts in their fields
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Haven't voted yet but I definately will.
    Not changing my mind.
    I won't lie - there are a few points made by the "leave" campaign that appeal to me at a purely emotional level, but for something as important and as final as this vote is, we need to vote based on the reality of what's best for us and our children.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The Eureka Cyclist's Cafe have been running this

https://twitter.com/Eureka_Cafe/status/ ... 8206092288
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Voted.

Remain.

As I always planned.

Do I look like a fuck1ng idiot?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Voted - In.

Although demographically I must be one of the safest In voters going anyway (except for not reading the Gruniad, but my girlfriend makes up for me there)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Voted by post a couple of weeks ago - In.

Staying in the worlds largest trading bloc, with opt outs from the stuff we really don't want - single currency and bailouts, Schengen and further European integration - is enough to make it pretty clear for me. Although many of us recognise it is a far from perfect club that we are voting to stay in.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited June 2016
    I stayed with my 'Leave' vote. After the snide, dismissive and inflammatory labelling of those voting to leave by many on this site it re-enforced my view.

It is delusional to think it will change for the improvement of the UK. It will just keep undermining and sucking on the teat of a successful UK until we realise how much its rules are hutting us and we push it away.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I like working and my job - In
  • rank_amateur
    rank_amateur Posts: 117
    I voted in, as I was going to all along, but two people I know have gone from Leave to Remain when it came to the crunch. Both said they would have preferred to get out but have mortgages and families couldn't risk the possible bumpy ride.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Voted out, as I was always going to.
  • Ben6899
    I stayed with my 'Leave' vote. After the snide, dismissive and inflammatory labelling of those voting to leave by many on this site it re-enforced my view.

It is delusional to think it will change for the improvement of the UK. It will just keep undermining and sucking on the teat of a successful UK until we realise how much its rules are hutting us and we push it away.

How grown-up of you. On both fronts.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    In (as I always was) but I think Cameron is toast now.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Ben6899 wrote:

But ending your previous post with "do I look like a fucking idiot" is terribly mature ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Not yet voted. But will be very much remain. Think there are some valid concerns about accountability of the system, but not nearly enough to vote out.

Plus, I get the feeling that a lot of outers are living in cuckoo land
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

But ending your previous post with "do I look like a ******* idiot" is terribly mature ?

It's pertinent.
    Ben

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Voted out last week. Which won't be a surprise to many here.

I do worry about Surrey Commuter's health if Leave win's it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pleased to hear we successfully changed my dad's mind - he wanted to vote out but voted in because it's what me and my brothers wanted (since we have maybe 60-70yrs each of it left and he has maybe 30 years). I think my mum was always going to vote in but I don't think he paid much attention to that :)

Also surprised to hear my conspiracy theory fan, Jehova's witness (they aren't meant to vote at all), creationist uncle voted in.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pleased to hear we successfully changed my dad's mind - he wanted to vote out but voted in because it's what me and my brothers wanted (since we have maybe 60-70yrs each of it left and he has maybe 30 years). I think my mum was always going to vote in but I don't think he paid much attention to that :)

Also surprised to hear my conspiracy theory fan, Jehova's witness (they aren't meant to vote at all), creationist uncle voted in.
    Yeah, failed on my mum despite me debunking each fact she put forward. My dad was very quiet in the back of the car that day.

Learned today from my son that grampy voted remain.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have not yet voted. I am finding it difficult to make a decision but I feel an obligation to vote .I can not abstain.
  • Ben6899
    Vote for the status quo, then Les.
    Ben

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Wouldn't say I changed my mind, except I did. Since we did the big debates when I was at school in 1975 and ever since I've been firmly out. As this campaign has evolved it became harder to see Out as a realistic option; if we'd got Out in 1975 we'd be ok now and would have been for years - history would be different. The bother with now is that we are where we are and untangling ourselves from the EU's tentacles isn't feasible in any realistic time frame and is neither a sensible nor a realistic option. So despite wishing that we'd never got this far into it and wishing that we could get out, we can't. I voted in, for the country, and for my kids. I feel quite relaxed about that choice. Voting Out - which I'd love to happen in an alternate universe - didn't give me a good feeling.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    It is my belief that the EU is one of the greatest achievments of the 20th century. A continent whose peoples have been killing each other for millenia, now united peacefully. It represents hope for a future where all of our species can work together, perhaps by all countries eventually deciding to join, or just by serving of an example of how everyone benefits from cooperation. There is much about the EU that really needs to be changed, but if we can't make the EU work today, then that future may never happen before we wipe ourselves out.

Oh, and I didn't want to have to change the domain name of my website.

As you can probably guess, I voted remain.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Do I look like a fuck1ng idiot?

You'll have to post a clearer photo of yourself if you want an accurate answer to your question. Why not create a poll?

As I always intended, I voted in and got very, very wet on the way to the polling station. Also got to do a yougov exit poll on the way out.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Voted In,was always In.
    Out was just not a viable option for me.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Voted In

Didn't change my mind, but I still have reservations that the EU is going to make the reforms required to make it a better institution for all 300+ million Europeans.