Shimano rear derailleurs, a bit crap?

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
All the shimano rear derailleurs I've owned have developed significant okay in the pivot point at the hanger after only a few thousand miles. This doesn't appear to be a serviceable item (despite appearing to only be wear on a plastic washer). Going to see if I can fix this but am I the only person who has this problem? Any other mechs better in this regards?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Ultegra 6700 RD has had about 10000 miles - recently replaced the jockey wheels. makes funny creaking noises now when I shift up or down. have tried blasting it out with GT85 and relubing worked for a short while now making creaking sounds.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    105 yep pile of shite i replaced them on three bikes with ultegra which seem fine, i think shimaNO know this because they used to ship bikes with 105 groupsets with ultegra rear mechs.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    No, manufacturers specify a "better" rear mech because gullible punters think they're getting a better deal when they're buying!

Can't comment on their road mechs (I have Campag which is faultless after thousands of miles) but their MTB mechs are brilliant. I have just retired a 9 spd XT mech which had done about 5k miles in every type of terrain and weather condition and was perfectly serviceable (and only taken off because I went to 10sp on that bike) and very, very reliable so I'm a little surprised to see this thread. The two SLX mechs that are now doing service on my MTBs are excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jds_1981
    itboffin wrote:
    105 yep pile of shite i replaced them on three bikes with ultegra which seem fine, i think shimaNO know this because they used to ship bikes with 105 groupsets with ultegra rear mechs.
    Actually, think I've a mix of 105 and ultegra. Will check to see if matches .
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... y5ye98010/
    Looks like can buy replacements. Just need to work out what exact model I'm running
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    and very, very reliable so I'm a little surprised to see this thread.
    Yeah, I only call it good I see it. Generally they are fine but they've developed excessive play in the bit I've linked as replacements in the post above. Annoyingly, that isn't even a real pivot point. Only time it needs to turn is when adjusting to your cassette. I'll see if I can jam a washer in there to stop it wiggling.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I have been running an Ultegra rear mech for 13 (yes thirteen) years, with many thousands of miles on it in all weathers, and it still shifts faultlessly every time. To be fair, it gets cleaned every time I use the bike, which does extend the life significantly. I fully expect to get another thirteen years out of it or else I will be going back to the bike shop to complain!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't say I've ever noticed the kind of wear you're describing. Only replaced an 8 year old, ridden year round 5600 RD because the jockey wheels were buggered and I'd rounded both bolts. And a new 5700 mech was only marginally dearer than replacement jockey wheels + new bolts.

The second hand 9 speed Tiagra 4500 RD on the winter bike is still functioning perfectly despite several years of abuse / minimal maintenance and cleaning.

The fact that they offer it as a replacement part / kit does however suggest there is a need for it...
  • jds_1981
    keef66 wrote:
    because the jockey wheels were buggered and I'd rounded both bolts. And a new 5700 mech was only marginally dearer than replacement jockey wheel + new bolts.
    I've got my first set of replacement wheels that I'll fit tonight along with new mechanical hanger. I cycle along a canal so would be willing to give it the benefit if the doubt of a hard life, except that I've noticed it on a couple of previous shimanos that have only seen road usage.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm not a Shimano fan, but to be fair the 200GS rear mech on my mountain bike is still going strong after 24 years so it can't be that bad.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i've just taken a deore groupset off my wifes bike and whilst it looks fine its seized all over the place, none of the bolts unscrew and the left crankarm is fused to the BB, the rear mech moves but cant be adjusted.

zero maintenance over 8 years apart from one replacement chain and a few seatpost saddle combos
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Can't say any of the derailleurs on my bikes have worn/died before their time. The only ones I replaced where on the 10 year old MTB that spent most of its life riding off road, I retired it a few years ago. The rear derailleur did die a few months back was still shifting but not very well.
  • jds_1981
    Well, I've replaced the hanger and the jockey wheels, so should be a bit better now. Obviously no change in play though. Uploaded these two videos to show the play

https://vimeo.com/171996088
    https://vimeo.com/171996089
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Found mine to work perfectly fine, but Deore/XT/105 all have waaayyy more chain slap than SRAM X9/Apex. Not a major problem on the road bike but am seriously thinking about changing my XT for a SRAM setup on the MTB because of it.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Never ever had to do anything to any Shimano rear derailleur apart from change the jockey wheels from time to time. My rear 105 (5600 10spd) derailleur has over 10000 miles on it and the 15+ year old XT (9spd) one on my MTB has probably seen similar miles and both are shifting just as well now as when I got them. I have just replaced the MTB one but that was to replace it with a one of the newer shadow mechs. The old mech will be trickling down onto my other MTB when I update the drive train on that. :)

Front derailleurs exposed to mud can get a sieze up and stop moving but getting some oil into them and working the movement restores normal operation.

Mike
  • jds_1981
    Yeah, I've uploaded video of the problem I've got and gave had previously. The play looks excessive to me and I'm sure it's a lot more than new. Even get phantom shifting sometimes when going over bumpy routes.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    LOL I've got an old Sora from 2005 on my shredded Sirrus, minimal maintenance, lives in the open air, been dragged into spokes yet still going strong!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Can't say I've had any problems with Shimano rear mechs, but I have snapped 2 campags. Only Xenon, but still (one of them was brand new and the bolt sheared leaving me having to drill it out of the frame (old steel frame, no removable hanger).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • My eight-speed Claris back dérailleur is bent. Think its time to buy a new one. Had it for three years. God knows how many miles were put on it. Can't shift to first gear cuz the tension screw won't turn. I can still access all the others. Jumps a little bit on sixth gear.

Also the front dérailleur is bust. Can shift up but can't shift back to the 34 ring. I'll have to tap it with my foot. Even mechanics fail to repair it. So again, buy a new one.

I don't think they're crap. Maybe mine has worn out and on their last leg.