Does anyone use a derailleur protector?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
After someone came off their bike and bent the derailleur on a club ride last week, I've been thinking about buying one of these https://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:120891 Does anyone know if they work well? I carry a spare hanger in my bag anyway, but it'd be nicer if I never needed to use it.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Nope. Can't say I've needed one in 30 years plus of cycling.

If you do crash a lot though - go for it.
  • prhymeate
    Fenix wrote:
    Nope. Can't say I've needed one in 30 years plus of cycling.

If you do crash a lot though - go for it.

I don't, but I am one of those people who can't pack light 'just in case'.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The way I see it, if the mech takes a knock and the hanger bends/breaks, then replace the hanger. Worst case, you need to replace the mech too.

That device will transfer the impact forces to the frame dropout - which the separate hanger was designed to prevent for alloy and carbon frames.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yeah, I don't quite get that. The main selling point of a hanger is to break in the event of an issue so that the frame is saved (bit like the function of a collarbone which protects the shoulder/neck).

I am not sure I would carry a spare hanger except maybe pack one on a long tour/riding holiday. If the mech/hanger gets toasted on a ride then the best way forward is to bin it, wrap the chain around a cog of choice and take a small chunk out of the chain to go fixie. That way you get two gears with the FD (or three on a triple) which is enough to get anyone home, albeit with a bit of patience. Don't forget to turn Strava off first though, just in case anyone thinks you are a sh1t rider.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Prhymeate wrote:
    After someone came off their bike and bent the derailleur on a club ride last week, I've been thinking about buying one of these https://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:120891 Does anyone know if they work well? I carry a spare hanger in my bag anyway, but it'd be nicer if I never needed to use it.

Yeah, seems odd that one. It will put the derailleur back in the firing line as the weakest link.

Yonks ago when I was a lad, my first mountain bike had a steel hoop that sat proud of the derailleur, like a bash guard. If you have probems with repeated breakages, something like that might make sense.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rear-deraill ... oCTdfw_wcB
  • prhymeate
    Maybe I'll just leave it for now. I'd definitely recommend people carry one of those emergency hangers if they ride in a group though. Mine allowed for the person who crashed to at least ride a few miles to the nearest bike shop.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Yeah, I don't quite get that. The main selling point of a hanger is to break in the event of an issue so that the frame is saved (bit like the function of a collarbone which protects the shoulder/neck).

I am not sure I would carry a spare hanger except maybe pack one on a long tour/riding holiday. If the mech/hanger gets toasted on a ride then the best way forward is to bin it, wrap the chain around a cog of choice and take a small chunk out of the chain to go fixie. That way you get two gears with the FD (or three on a triple) which is enough to get anyone home, albeit with a bit of patience. Don't forget to turn Strava off first though, just in case anyone thinks you are a sh1t rider.
    I am having difficulty understanding that. As I see it ,if you do that you have nothing to take up the slack chain so front mech is unusable and you have single speed not fixed.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Why did someone create this? Replaceable rear hangers were invented to stop frames getting damaged by impact. This undoes that whole advantage and puts your frame at risk, which for aluminium (and probably carbon) frames would be terminal... And for the same weight penalty as this device, you would be better carrying a spare hanger or emergency hanger (there is one on one of my multi-tools although I never seem to carry that one).

I had to help someone on a Sportive once, who had a snapped hanger. I did as Boninogs suggested - shorten the chain with my chain tool and spare KMC quick links, cable tie the derailleur to the seat stay and send him on his way. It didnt work as well as I hoped though, because I sized the chain for one of the middle cogs but as he rode it slid down to the smallest cog and the rear derailleur occasionally slipped around and started clipping the spokes and we couldnt find anywhere to tie it that would completely prevent this. Tried to minimise these but didnt get it to work properly. Got him home though, I think. Are there any tips to get this to work better?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Alex99 wrote:

Yonks ago when I was a lad, my first mountain bike had a steel hoop that sat proud of the derailleur, like a bash guard. If you have probems with repeated breakages, something like that might make sense.

Yep, one of our boys' first MTBs had a similar arrangement. Probably made sense given the way they were frequently crashed /chucked on the ground / dumped in a heap. IIRC the bike had a steel frame, so pretty robust.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    apreading wrote:
    I had to help someone on a Sportive once, who had a snapped hanger. I did as Boninogs suggested - shorten the chain with my chain tool and spare KMC quick links, cable tie the derailleur to the seat stay and send him on his way. It didnt work as well as I hoped though, because I sized the chain for one of the middle cogs but as he rode it slid down to the smallest cog and the rear derailleur occasionally slipped around and started clipping the spokes and we couldnt find anywhere to tie it that would completely prevent this. Tried to minimise these but didnt get it to work properly. Got him home though, I think. Are there any tips to get this to work better?

I'd have taken the derailleur off completely and tied the cable out of the way.

Sizing the chain for singlespeed, small chainring, and to whichever cog gives a straight chain line, and try to get the chain as tight as possible sliding the wheel in the dropouts and clamping the QR. Can be a bit hit and miss; you don't get much room for adjustment, and the QR sometimes won't hold the axle where you put it (depends on the nature of the dropouts and the QR skewer, and how much oomph you're stomping on the pedals)
  • apreading
    YEah - I guessed that if I had to do it again I would ensure a straight chain line in the hope it would then stay on that cog. I dont know why I never thought about actually removing the derailleur - it was attached to the gear cable but I could have taken it off that and then zip tied it somewhere out of the way completely. Lets hope I dont have any more practice any time soon to perfect the technique!
  • Bobbinogs
    Yes, the answer was in the first bit of my advice but easily missed "If the mech/hanger gets toasted on a ride then the best way forward is to bin it..."

It is hit or miss (although a straight chain line helps a great deal) and the rider will have to be careful but it should get them home or to somewhere where they can wait for a pickup or a train station, etc.
  • apreading
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Yes, the answer was in the first bit of my advice but easily missed "If the mech/hanger gets toasted on a ride then the best way forward is to bin it..."

It is hit or miss (although a straight chain line helps a great deal) and the rider will have to be careful but it should get them home or to somewhere where they can wait for a pickup or a train station, etc.

You wouldnt bin the derailleur just because the hanger snapped though, would you. So need somewhere to put it and it will generally be covered in crud so jersey pocket not ideal and it might not be comfortable in there anyway. Zip tie it to the handlebars or underneath of the saddle might work though.
  • Bobbinogs
    yeah, fair enough. As you say, rather zip tie it somewhere than stick it in a back pocket.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    A friends derailleur hanger snapped while we were out. We tried shortening the chain and running single speed but it proved to be impossible. The chain was forever trying to move up and down the cassette.
    We eventually abandoned him in a garden centre coffee shop, rode home and collected him later.
    He now has a universal hanger in his pack.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    apreading wrote:

You wouldnt bin the derailleur just because the hanger snapped though, would you.
    I did, reckon I made the right call too :lol:

IMG_20160214_125641_zpsrriogcmc.jpg
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

You wouldnt bin the derailleur just because the hanger snapped though, would you.
    I did, reckon I made the right call too :lol:

IMG_20160214_125641_zpsrriogcmc.jpg

That should polish out Andy.
    :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul