rear derailleur indexing

Jay_Forme
Jay_Forme Posts: 132
edited June 2016 in Road general
Ok this isn't actually a help/workshop thread which is why I have stuck it in here (but if its in the wrong section I apologise) but I have just installed a new rear mech hanger, rear derailleur, cassette and chain.
Spent a good half hour indexing it all and it works, it actually works. Now I know this isn't a major thing for some of you guys but this has always been the one thing to P me off and it normally ends up at the LBS.

To say I am chuffed is an understatement!! :D

had 5 weeks off the bike due to illness and also the upgrade of parts but can not wait to get out later tonight for a ride!

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Jay_Forme wrote:
    Ok this isn't actually a help/workshop thread which is why I have stuck it in here (but if its in the wrong section I apologise) but I have just installed a new rear mech hanger, rear derailleur, cassette and chain.
    Spent a good half hour indexing it all and it works, it actually works. Now I know this isn't a major thing for some of you guys but this has always been the one thing to P me off and it normally ends up at the LBS.

To say I am chuffed is an understatement!! :D

had 5 weeks off the bike due to illness and also the upgrade of parts but can not wait to get out later tonight for a ride!

:)
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Hate to possibly be a kill-joy, but did you adjust the end limit screws before doing the indexing ? It could index perfectly 99 times out of 100 and still throw the chain into the spokes with 1 overzealous lever actuation if the end stop isn't adjusted correctly.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Glad it's working OK. Not all new hangers are 100% spot on so always worth checking hanger alignment after fitting......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Paul0975
    Paul0975 Posts: 14
    Ah, the satisfaction of a gear change at every click of the lever. You`ll soon forget about those 5 weeks off the bike once you get going.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Hate to possibly be a kill-joy, but did you adjust the end limit screws before doing the indexing ? It could index perfectly 99 times out of 100 and still throw the chain into the spokes with 1 overzealous lever actuation if the end stop isn't adjusted correctly.

I did, Youtube GCN channel came in very handy I have to say. I shall be off out tonight on it so if you never hear from me again you will already know why. :lol: