BMC Roadmachine RM02 2017 / Budget £3k

penski
penski Posts: 124
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm about to purchase my road bike, and I am quite interested in these bikes.

BMC Roadmachine RM02 Ultegra 2017 £3099
https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-rm02-ultegra-2017-road-bike-EV277888
bmc-roadmachine-rm02-ultegra-2017-road-bike-grey-EV277888-7000-1.jpg
v
BMC Roadmachine RM02 105 2017 £2499
https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-rm02-105-2017-road-bike-EV277889
bmc-roadmachine-rm02-105-2017-road-bike-red-EV277889-3000-1.jpg

A big concern of mine on the 105 model is the 'Novatec 30 SL' wheelset. Can anybody offer any opinions/thoughts on the quality of these?

And I am prepared to consider (despite a previous poor buying experience with Canyon), the Canyon Endurace 8.0 SLX Ulegra £3000
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/endurace-cf-slx-8-0.html
canyon_endurace_cf_slx.png?itok=BJ4x70lq

What would you go for with a budget of £3000 and why?

Comments

• fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I was just in Evans and they had the BMC GF01 which was bike of the year apparently. looks nice. and it's just over £2k.

Not a big fan of the way the bmc looks at the back - the front and back look like different bikes.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • penski
    fat_tail wrote:
    I was just in Evans and they had the BMC GF01 which was bike of the year apparently. looks nice. and it's just over £2k.

Not a big fan of the way the bmc looks at the back - the front and back look like different bikes.

I think you may have seen the 2015 model which I've also been considering. It's on sale now at £2124. I really like it, but I feel it is a bit on the weighty side.
    bmc-granfondo-gf01-105-disc-2016-road-bike-black-red-EV237597-0000-2.jpg
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Cube do some good looking and seemingly good value bikes at that budget.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Penski wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

I think you may have seen the 2015 model which I've also been considering. It's on sale now at £2124. I really like it, but I feel it is a bit on the weighty side.

just popped into the evans (I seem to live there these days thanks to my adventure in tubeless). the GF01 is 8.5kg apparently. I am pretty sure it's not the frame that contributes most of that. So for £900 notes, I think you can improve that or live with it. for example sell the wheels that come with it and upgrade to better wheels ?

It is growing on me. It's like having two bikes for the price of one.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    The Canyon is seriously tempting at that price
  • penski
    fat_tail wrote:
    Penski wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

just popped into the evans (I seem to live there these days thanks to my adventure in tubeless). the GF01 is 8.5kg apparently. I am pretty sure it's not the frame that contributes most of that. So for £900 notes, I think you can improve that or live with it. for example sell the wheels that come with it and upgrade to better wheels ?

It is growing on me. It's like having two bikes for the price of one.

That's a good point you make and not something I had considered.
  • have you read this? http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/bmc-road ... -all-road/

hope it helps...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the roadmachines frame is a fair bit lighter than the Granfondo. its supposed to be inbetween the team machine and the granfondo in terms of handling as well.

it looks really well engineered but like the OP I'm just not a fan of Dt Swiss wheelsets.

oh and the rear end is like that because there are aero and vibration damping benefits. I've got a teammachine and time machine road and they ride beautifully.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    The picture of the Canyon is not the bike you get for the price you quoted.
  • penski
    antsmithmk wrote:
    The picture of the Canyon is not the bike you get for the price you quoted.

Oh yes I know..somewhat misleading but I was struggling to link the image from the Canyon website
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Id go the canyon. Had a bmc years ago have to say was a well put together bike felt real quality. The gran fondo was on silly cheap from westbrooks last year but i found so many poor reviews. Went against it was the previous model though
  • penski
    have you read this? http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/bmc-road ... -all-road/

hope it helps...

Just did..interesting read.

The wheelset and tyre clearance issues of the 2016/2017 BMC are putting me off, and the 'In Stock' status of the Canyon Endurace SLX is sucking me in.
  • kiteloopy
    kiteloopy Posts: 94
    Im also looking for a new bike Penski.

Currently have the 2014 TMR02 and 2015 GF02. No idea why im looking as I love both bikes; still N+1.
    Im waiting until they release 2017 Timemachine before I make any decision. I think its going to be lovely.
  • cantaloupe
    cantaloupe Posts: 34
    Penski wrote:

with 3k I would not rule out the giant defy advanced pro 1

2016_Giant_Defy_Advanced_Pro_1.jpg
  • penski
    cantaloupe wrote:
    Penski wrote:

with 3k I would not rule out the giant defy advanced pro 1

2016_Giant_Defy_Advanced_Pro_1.jpg

I considered this - I was not keen on the looks and the DI2. The Trek Domane was on my shortlist but I think I'm ready to order the Canyon now.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    have u got it yet?