Numb

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm having a lot of trouble with my left hand going very numb when doing even relatively short distances.

I'm considering shortening my stem to reduce the 'reach' to see if that helps but any other tips would be appreciated.

Interestingly the problem wasn't so bad over winter but seems to be getting worse now. Could be that I'm just doing more miles I guess.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Or wearing different gloves?

I've suffered from this problem on occasion, and for me the solution is a particular model of gel gloves. I suspect they're like saddles though, and you have to figure out what works for you.

Do you move your hands around the different positions available on the bars, or are they always in the same position on the hoods?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Could a number of things; position on bike putting a lot of pressure on your hands?
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    I get this with finger less gloves on my left hand but found it was down to pulling them on to far since i started pulling them on and then pushing them back a smidge its much less likely to happen.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i'd say your bike set up is wrong, could be saddle too far forwards causing you to put too much pressure on your hands and up through your shoulders and neck.

A quick test is can you ride no handed without adjusting yourself right back on the saddle i.e. just lift your hands off the bars, do you fall forward?

Also are you gripping the bars to hard?

Beware of riding for a prolonged amount of time wearing a heavy rucksack, the stress that puts on your neck should not be ignored especially if you already have an injury you're not aware of like me - I ignored hand shoulder blade and neck pains for years much to my peril.

My avatar isnt hugely clear but in that MRI scan my C6 vertebra is fecked and needs replacing, dont ignore niggly pains they're usually the warning signs
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    itboffin wrote:
    i'd say your bike set up is wrong, could be saddle too far forwards causing you to put too much pressure on your hands and up through your shoulders and neck.

A quick test is can you ride no handed without adjusting yourself right back on the saddle i.e. just lift your hands off the bars, do you fall forward?

Also are you gripping the bars to hard?

Beware of riding for a prolonged amount of time wearing a heavy rucksack, the stress that puts on your neck should not be ignored especially if you already have an injury you're not aware of like me - I ignored hand shoulder blade and neck pains for years much to my peril.

My avatar isnt hugely clear but in that MRI scan my C6 vertebra is fecked and needs replacing, dont ignore niggly pains they're usually the warning signs

I always thought your avatar was some kind of Viking helmet. Though, now you say it, it does look like a spine!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm assuming this is on the Defy not the fit?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.