Glastonbury: Yeh or ney?

2»

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Went to Glasto in 2003, as the other half won the tickets in a Q Magazine competition. We were allocated space in the 'VIP' camping area, which was in between the Pyramid and Other stages, so really handy for either. The weather was fantastic, saw some good bands including REM and the Manics (two favourites of mine).

Only fly in the ointment (excluding the 7 hour drive) was the (relatively smart) toilet block was out of action after the first afternoon, and the other half got heat-stroke towards the end.

After doing the Leeds bit of Leeds and Reading for three years running 09, 10 and 11 I have thoroughly had enough of Festivals - just like my home comforts too much, so Glasto on the box is ideal!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    (one main reason I have never been to Glasto is that I much prefer the music at Reading/Leeds and Download so if I was going to spend an expensive weekend in a smelly field I'd go to one of those....)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    ddraver wrote:
    (one main reason I have never been to Glasto is that I much prefer the music at Reading/Leeds and Download so if I was going to spend an expensive weekend in a smelly field I'd go to one of those....)

Reading & Leeds really don't appeal either.

Small (30k ish), decent toilets, people who pick litter up, Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, full-on dance tent, good food.

Job done.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Went in '97...Radiohead...excellent.

So I'm told. I was in the back of an ambulance heading up to the medical tent as my mate had...over indulged... :shock:

Good to do it once, if I were to go again I'd want good weather, this year looks like '97 all over again, 2 work colleagues going, uh-oh

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Went to Leads a couple of times when I was 19-20 (so second half of the 2000s) and felt pretty old - most of the festival goers, at least the campers, seemed to be about 15!

I've never had much interest in Glastonbury but apparently it's way better and not full of teenagers, I think I've got 5 actual friends there (not just one group of friends, this is people I know from different places) and it seems like half the rest of my facebook is there too. My facebook is probably 60:40 referendum:Glastonbury at the moment.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    It is that time of the year again when the media goes mad and seems to think that everyone in the country is either at Glastonbury or wants to be there. It is a long time ago that the event seemed to offer an alternative platform for music and, IMO, has just morphed into some great corporate event complete with mainstream superbands being paid a fortune...and city types lining up to pay a fortune for a glamping experience. Am I just missing the vibe on this one?

In my opinion Glastonbury has become a over hyped brand name. Used as click-bait by news media. Plenty of other music venues are just as good if not better (including some indoor arenas) yet they dont receive the same amount of hype.
    Ive tried Iiving in mud with everything I owned wet through and its a bit s*** to be honest. Theres nothing worse than waking up in the morning and putting damp clothes on.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ney for me,I liked the Faithless set on the pyramid stage they did while back but watched it on TV as Ive no desire to go and camp in a muddy field with a bunch of people Ill almost certainly instantly take a dislike to and have to constantly queue for disgusting toilets, or lose phones,money,belongings whatever etc etc. Ive got friends who go every year and to Reading and they love it, but its never appealed to me.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Never been to one of them there pop festivals in my life. Loads and loads of smaller gigs, quite like pub beer garden gigs.
    I like watching Glastonbury on the telly. Sitting here, in me PJs, I have seen some great music in recent years.
    Iggy Pop was good, and recently Motörhead were great. Currently enjoying ZZ Top. Catch it on Internet if you missed it.
    I have to say this year's line-up was underwhelming, but Glastonbury always throws up some curiosities.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    I went in 08 & was lucky enough to get a ticket free by working with staff catering for the week leading up to & during the event, but saw everyone who I wanted & a lot more. I had an awesome time & had the full 'festival experience', ie met & had a laugh with a load of random people, saw some quality music, enjoyed hanging with mates & having some beers & herbal remedies around a camp fire ;) Highlight was seeing Leonard Cohen perform 'Hallelujah' as the sun was going down. Magical.

Not sure how much tickets are, but you can probably find better festival experiences around the world for the money. The queues can be awful & the camp sites a real horror, but as a music festival it's good. Never got my head round how massive the sute actually is !