What grease should I be using?

vault94
vault94 Posts: 23
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I need to regrease my hub bearings, I also bought a new set of wheels. Will I need to grease a new freehub or do they usually come grease already?

When I cleaned out my headset the grease was lithium grease (bluish) however I've heard you're better off using Teflon grease. Can I use teflon grease on my freehub as it's green lithium grease on my old wheels?

I've been looking at this grease for the Teflon and I have a tube of Weldtite lithium grease somewhere else.

Also what grease should I use on screws?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-tef ... -455g-tub/

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Don't over-think it - pretty much any grease will do. Bicycles are generally pretty low-tech devices...
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    A mineral oil is best used on the free hub. I packed mine out with a thick grease, too much so which effected the freehub mechanism and the free wheel resistance increased. Learnt from my mistake.
  • Rockn roll super web grease for bearings, any grease for other moving parts and copper slip for bolts etc which don't move but you want to prevent seizing.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have used this on just about most things: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/weld ... p-prod5958
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Normal moly for things that move, copper slip for things that don't
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had a spare tub of LB10 that we used on the tractors, and it's still doing sterling service for the bike. As above, grease is grease pretty much when applied to a bike. It silenced the Ultegra freewheel enormously, has made getting pedals & bottle holder bolts a doddle to get out.

Don't overthink it. It's grease. :)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I use the finish line Teflon on most things, word of warning if the trigger system stops don't twist the bottle youll rip the head off like ive done.
    Used that grease on wheels of most bits with no issue. Comes out pink so its easy to spot which helps.