Cippolinni Bond

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Has anybody got one of these frames , how does it ride to your previous bike ?

Italian hand made frame , this seems a quality frame for the price (£2300) but I've seen special offers for £1800 via Westbrook if you like orange

Don't know much about the unique atomlink patent 2 piece design ?

Are these just new bling on the block or something that will be appreciated in years to,come like a Colnago or Look ?

Comments

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Not sure they will be one to look back on in the future but certainly looks a nice bike. Only video i can find is a stupid james bond esque promo of chippo riding down a mountain.
    Seems a few good reviews out there. Im not sure its any amazing though. I was looking at one myself but cant find many reviews. I think as the first frames were so expensive the lower bond models failed to gain much interest. I love the fluro colourways though
  • undapressure
    undapressure Posts: 116
    I had an rb0.8k a few years ago and was distinctly underwhelmed by its performance. It looked incredible and the finish was exceptional but the frame was heavy and felt a bit sluggish despite being the 'superlight climbing bike'. The Cipollini warranty is notoriously bad, I experienced it and there are several accounts on weight weenies of similar experiences.

Rather than pay £1800 for a Bond, I would go for the Scott Foil 10 https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 16-p289685. Very proven frame with excellent reviews and a good post sales service to back it up.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There's a thread with a few people commenting how they ride on weight weenies that might help you, see http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129594

Also this review http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/cipollini-bond-review/#.V2r8cpMrKRt
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    No idea what they ride like but they look good and with the Italian connection and the Cipo name on them yes I think image wise they are up there with a Colnago or a Look. Whether they'll be appreciated in years to come - I don't know if many bikes are really going to become classics - would you want to hold on to it that long to find out - if you want classic buy an old classic now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    No idea what they ride like but they look good and with the Italian connection and the Cipo name on them yes I think image wise they are up there with a Colnago or a Look.

Or maybe not... maybe they will be down there with a Boardman and a Hoy

Italian and former PRO superstar doesn't equate to lustre... take the Fondriest, the Battaglin, the Coppi...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    No idea what they ride like but they look good and with the Italian connection and the Cipo name on them yes I think image wise they are up there with a Colnago or a Look.

What utter twaddle. I don't know much about Hoy, but Boardman are one of the most successful brands out there. Of course Ugo is less than keen on things British is he not.
    Personally, I find it a sad barometer of the usefulness of on line forums when a poster with such a stratospheric post count repeatedly posts such utter, unmitigated Sh£Te .
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I ve a LOOK 595 and i would nt compare it to a Boardman, from what i ve seen of Cip frames, they have a great paint job and do look very nice but having test ridden some out in Italy, they are very much like many other far cheaper brands.....

Boardman and Hoy? they just do not have the heritage of a Colnago or the inventiveness of a LOOK, given time, they might develop a following.

i m sure Ugo would have plenty of time for a Bob Jackson or a Rourke.
  • MikeBrew
    mamba80 wrote:
    I ve a LOOK 595 and i would nt compare it to a Boardman,

Can't argue with that. Second hand Boardmans actually do have reasonable resale value ...
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    MikeBrew wrote:

What utter twaddle. I don't know much about Hoy, but Boardman are one of the most successful brands out there. Of course Ugo is less than keen on things British is he not.
    Personally, I find it a sad barometer of the usefulness of on line forums when a poster with such a stratospheric post count repeatedly posts such utter, unmitigated Sh£Te .

Aren't they just successful because they hit the bike to work scheme pricing and it's easy for big companies to work with Halfords? Lets face it, their graphic designers should be sacked, cos they've never put a decent font on any of them. There's little desirable about Boardmans, if they didnt hit the c2w price point you'd see a fraction of what you do.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736

Italian and former PRO superstar doesn't equate to lustre... take the Fondriest, the Battaglin, the Coppi...

I disagree - I am not saying they are good bikes but I am pretty sure that if you turn up on a group ride on one it'll attract attention while nobody is going to ask you about your Boardman or Hoy except to be polite.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mallorcajeff
    I was looking at buying one and after reading somany mixed reviews im not bothering. Im on the look out for something special with dura ace 11sp di2 but cant find much out there floating my boat at the moment.
  • MikeBrew
    Gozzy wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

Aren't they just successful because they hit the bike to work scheme pricing and it's easy for big companies to work with Halfords? Lets face it, their graphic designers should be sacked, cos they've never put a decent font on any of them. There's little desirable about Boardmans, if they didnt hit the c2w price point you'd see a fraction of what you do.

I think it has more to do with 1. They are actually decent bikes. 2. They are decent value for money 3. Most people who buy them have yet to be inducted into the school of brand snobbery that more "experienced cyclists" feel obliged to graduate from.
  • No idea what they ride like but they look good and with the Italian connection and the Cipo name on them yes I think image wise they are up there with a Colnago or a Look.

But it's Cipollini !! Super Mario !! Nobody is cooler than this cat : ) If these bikes are still on trend in two years or so and I have a spare couple of grand I'm getting one haha !!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ted-212424

Not sure I'd fancy seeing Boardman try to recreate this on one of his bikes.
  • MrB123 wrote:

Cipo's in bloody good shape that's for sure !!
  • mallorcajeff
    Mate of a mate has decided to sell his one and im going to have a look at the weekend. After reading a lot on weight weenies about it does actually take some finding on there for a negative review. If i buy it will let you know what i think. Its a di2 model (only ultegra 11sp) but will do me for my needs at the moment.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

I think it has more to do with 1. They are actually decent bikes. 2. They are decent value for money 3. Most people who buy them have yet to be inducted into the school of brand snobbery that more "experienced cyclists" feel obliged to graduate from.

I'm quite aware they're meant to be alright bikes, with decent spec for the money. But that money just happens to be:

4. because they do 1000quid c2w specials
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I was looking at buying one and after reading somany mixed reviews im not bothering. Im on the look out for something special with dura ace 11sp di2 but cant find much out there floating my boat at the moment.

I own an Epoca R60, that has a similar look to a Cipo Bond, but it's completely custom, hand made, including one off custom paint job if you want. It rides superbly BTW!
  • mallorcajeff
    Will have a look at the cipollini saturday mate and go from there