chamois cream..

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited June 2016 in Road general
Never used it before as never felt the need. I've now moved country to a hotter climate and seem to be getting chaffing due to (I believe ) sweating a lot more in the groin. Would I benefit from chamois cream?? :?

Comments

• aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Most definitely!
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I also never used it, until about 2 months ago.

I was starting to get a little tender on bigger rides, purchased some Assos cream and the problem has disspeared. I haven't changed Bibs or saddle so I thank the cream.

I don't use it on short rides (2hours saddle time) but anything over this I chuck a bit on.
  • turbo1191
    I can walk out the door and 30min into a cycle im sweating my b*****ks off as it's 30°+ here most days..! Think I may invest in some..
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I never had a problem until about 3 wks ago when I did some 3 hrs plus rides in very warm weather. I could hardly walk the next day as I was so raw. Used some Sudocrem healing cream and my skin settled down within a couple of days. Since then I have been using some Udderly Smooth chamois cream and not had any further issues including a hot sweaty 4 hour ride in same shorts as before. I would recomend that you definitely get some.
  • turbo1191
    Seems unanimous.. cheers folks.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I would also say don't put a huge amount on because I have known that to make thing worse , just little on the pad is what I do.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use chamois cream on long rides, had some stuff recommended to me called "bag balm", as used on Cows Udders!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Im a big fan of the Assos chamois cream. Even if it doesnt do anything, it still gives me that psychological confidence for long rides and like a lucky ritual I go through before going out on the bike.

Im a big believer in sports psychology, even if its a placebo effect. Having nothing to worry about can make it easier for you to perform more.... "I believe I can do this long route / big hill"
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I never used the stuff until I picked up a few saddle sores as I upped the mileage this year in training for a trip to the French Alps. Went for Chamois Butt’r, but also changed my saddle.
    Anyway combination of the above got me through three long days in the Alps without any sores.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I find Vaseline very effective in this role. When our children were still in nappies (they now range from 17 to 23) I also used Sudocrem or some nappy-rash alternative.

On longer rides and in very hot weather, it can help to have something between shorts and skin where rubbing could become uncomfortable.

On most rides and in most weather it is unnecessary.
  • turbo1191
    Yeh u never used to notice it in the UK. Even a short 20 mile blast in 30° + and I'm noticing some sort of discomfort. I'm noticing it more in the 'barse' area!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    drlodge wrote:
    I use chamois cream on long rides, had some stuff recommended to me called "bag balm", as used on Cows Udders!!

I use Udderly Smooth on longer rides in warmer weather as others have said.
    It has the same provenance. :D:D
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Not a lover of the Udderly Smooth stuff found it to runny / watery - now use the Muc-Off stuff and love it
  • mct88
    mct88 Posts: 36
    If you're not rubbing your undercarriage with chamois cream before every ride / turbo - you are missing out!
  • This gives me a huge pyschological advantage, knowing I am not wasting money on tingly balls

https://www.sudocrem.co.uk/home
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    I also just use sudocrem, fraction of the price and soes the job. Helps that I have loads left over from my lad being in nappies and he doesn't need it anymore. It also comes in a range of sizes you handy for all occasions.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I use Butt'r for no other reason than the name amused me.

Only on 20 mile + rides though, shorter ones don't seem to bother me.
    Advocate of disc brakes.