Muc off and disc brakes

IanWhite
IanWhite Posts: 85
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I need to wash my bike and was thinking of using Muc Off , will this affect my brakes ? , if it get's on to them ?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the silly question , Ian

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Just don't get it on your brakes. (Put plastic bags on and around them)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's the bike cleaner pink stuff it will be fine.

If it's the bike spray don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IanWhite
    IanWhite Posts: 85
    yes the pink stuff , been told to stay well away from the bike spray stuff

Thanks for the reply's Ian
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    don't spray the pink stuff anywhere near your brakes
  • Paul0975
    Paul0975 Posts: 14
    I have used the pink stuff with the manual trigger spray on my brakes with no problem.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've also used the pink bike cleaner on my discs loads of times without any problems.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Just don't get it on your brakes. (Put plastic bags on and around them)

Do exactly the same and no problems then.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I used the pink stuff liberally on motorbikes and cycles for years and I'm still alive. If spraying Bike shine etc etc I spray onto a microfibre cloth away from the bike, never spray the bike itself.

Muc-off "pink stuff" is totally fine on discs/pads and even carbon, the most sensitive of materials :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    POAH wrote:
    don't spray the pink stuff anywhere near your brakes

Im with POAH, don't go near the brakes seems to make my pads go useless and squeal loads, though usually now I take the wheels off so whack brake block spacers in instead, so you could do that instead.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You have rubbish pads then. I have used it on all my bikes with no contamination issues whatsoever.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Don't find my brakes squeal or fade and I've used muc-off on the brakes for many a year. I've never had braking problems after use, I do usually give the bike a good drying off with a towel (including brakes) after rinsing off the muc off.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    You have rubbish pads then. I have used it on all my bikes with no contamination issues whatsoever.

OE shimano metal, OE shimano resin, superstar and uberbike pads have all done it on various people's bikes I know of.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    POAH wrote:

OE shimano metal, OE shimano resin, superstar and uberbike pads have all done it on various people's bikes I know of.

Least im not alone, the Superstar kevlars, and Shimano resins really didn't react well with it. I just remove the pads now doesn't take much.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    POAH wrote:

Two of those I've had no issue with, without knowing what Superstar pads I can't tell you whether the third can also be ticked off. Have you had issues or are you just reporting s/h without actually knowing whether it's just as likely to be some kind of other contaminent?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've never had an issue with this cleaner and disc brakes but I don't directly spray it on to them I just use water and wipe the discs with some clean paper towel as the pads wont make noise then.

I'm using uberbike semi metallic and then every so often clean the discs with ipa
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have never had any problems either and Muc-off clearly state it is OK on brakes, I seem to recall they had to do all sorts of tests etc. I dont always believe hype though, so its possible it occasionally doesnt like a brake compound.

I have been meaning to ask for some time though - cleaning rotors, fine I have some alcohol for that. Cleaning pads though - do you just let the alcohol evapourate or do you have to wipe with some kind of cloth/material? And when people talk about sanding pads, is it any type of sandpaper - fine/course etc?
  • swod1
    apreading wrote:
    I have been meaning to ask for some time though - cleaning rotors, fine I have some alcohol for that. Cleaning pads though - do you just let the alcohol evapourate or do you have to wipe with some kind of cloth/material? And when people talk about sanding pads, is it any type of sandpaper - fine/course etc?

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) evaporates on its own so no need to wipe off.

With pads I've just wiped them over with some clean paper towel, why would you need to sand the pads have you glazed some or got oil/grease on some?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Not now, but I think I may have in the past and just binned them, not knowing any better.
  • swod1
    apreading wrote:
    Not now, but I think I may have in the past and just binned them, not knowing any better.

Depending how bad the glazed pads are sometimes you can sand them back and re use them but any pads with oil or other contaminates on I wouldn't try to save.