Bike cam, gps, cycle computer device

ntl1606
ntl1606 Posts: 14
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi! I'm part of a team that's making a device that's a bike camera, gps, and a cycle computer all rolled into one that mounts your handlebars. It would sync with your smartphone for the routes and would also automatically load the footage from your ride on an app on your smartphone. It would display notifications from your phone, work as a headlight, speakers, and as a charging cell.

I was wondering if you guys had any feedback about if you would want to use a product like this or what features that would make or break it for you! We just really want to make a device that's helpful for cyclists and that people would actually want to use.

Thanks!

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Looks like it has already been invented:
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/176145 ... -indiegogo
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Running all those features at once the battery life will drain quite fast i would imagine unless its the size of a brick.
  • ntl1606
    Looks like it has already been invented:
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/176145 ... -indiegogo

That product has yet to go past their indiegogo phase and there were many bad reviews about the company's execution. We want to create a product that can be commercialized and that actually has all the functions it promises!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    ntl1606 wrote:

That product has yet to go past their indiegogo phase and there were many bad reviews about the company's execution. We want to create a product that can be commercialized and that actually has all the functions it promises!

This one is out this autumn and from the reviews of those who have tested a prototype it is looking very promising.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... -x5-222071
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    Ditch the light and speakers. It won't be any good at either of those things.
  • ntl1606
    Thanks for all the suggestions! among all the functions (navigation, cycle computer, phone connectivity, internet access, power bank, headlight) which ones do you guys think is the most important feature?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    None are important, many are helpful, some are pointless.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    ntl1606 wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions! among all the functions (navigation, cycle computer, phone connectivity, internet access, power bank, headlight) which ones do you guys think is the most important feature?

Don't be so obsessed about "features". There are two issues that spring to mind with this approach:
    - battery life will be a big issue, particularly with a light thrown in. The size of battery needed will be considerable, so will add cost, size and weight. Probably best to have the ability to [easily] add an external power source/bank via USB.
    - with so many "features", if one feature breaks how is the owner going to get a cost effective repair? And what do they do while the unit is in for repair?
    - oh and only someone who wants all these features might buy the product, its a very small market you're aiming this at.

I think a modular approach is better. E.g. I have a mount that I can fix my Garmin Edge computer and VIRB camera to. It would be great if I could easily attach a light to this mount too, rather than it sit on the bars and be partially obstructed by the bike computer. I have no need for further features in fact I'm put off from upgrading my Gamin Edge (model 800) since the newer models have far less battery life.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava