Squirt users - a question

JBA
JBA Posts: 2,852
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently put a new chain on my bike. Should I degrease it before the first application of Squirt or will it be ok with the factory lube that is already on it?
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Leave the factory grease in place, apply the squirt once it starts to feel dry (after a few rides depending on circumstances), aim is to keep the lube in the joints (where it's needed).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    The instructions say to clean it first which is what I did when using a new chain. I think Squirt works well and wear seems pretty good considering how long it's been on there. It may wash off more easily than some others, but it's relatively clean and dry in use and I prefer that so consider it a worthwhile trade off. I haven't tried using Squirt without cleaning off the factory lube so can't comment on that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Instructions say degrease first, which I've done and it works great.

I've also gotten lazy and done it Rookies way, and it seems to work great, so who knows. If you can be bothered probably best to follow the instructions.

One thing that is important is apply the day before, as it's a water based carrier and gives it time to evaporate so the waxy stuff sticks, otherwise it is very thin and flies off.

Still all I use.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Thanks, gents.
    I have been using Squirt for a while but only on older, degreased chains.

I think I'll follow The Rookie's advice and see how it goes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Love Squirt, can't see me going back to regular lube any time soon.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607