Experiences with Rose X-Lite vs. Xeon RS

DuncanIdaho
DuncanIdaho Posts: 4
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
This is my first post in this forum, so... hello to everyone!

Since quite some time I am planning to buy a racer. My ambition is to do fast rides of 2-4 hours on the weekends. Competitive races are not planned, but you never know...

I reads a ton of reviews so far and test rode a few bikes at the dealers, like Stevens, Specialized, Focus, etc...
So far I raised my budget successively from 1000GBP over 1500 to about 2000 quid.

What I have discovered so far is that I prefer a moderate racy geometry with a top tube length of like 54,5 cm.

After getting the impression that in the brick and mortar stores sales people only try to sell what they've got in stock I decided to go for a direct sales company. Since Canyon frame sizes are more like 53 and 56 and I prefer 54/55 I ended up with Rose.

So I almost decided to pick a Rose Xeon, but then read in several reviews that it is supposed to offer quite a harsh ride. So I "discovered" their X-Lite model which seems to offer everything I want: moderate geometry, fast acceleration and excellent damping plus a design I've absolutely fallen in love with - unfortunately this comes with a price tag...

So I wonder now if anybody had ridden both of them and can do a direct comparison?

Furthermore I am curious if the extra money is well spent for the addition of comfort or if this is more of a psychological advantage.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    And now you know why "bricks and mortar" sales people sell you what they stock - precisely because they stock it so that you can throw your leg over it, ride it and understand how it fits and works for you. If you want to try more bikes, go to more dealers.

Good luck with buying one over the internet that you've never ridden and are only relying on someone's opinion of ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    The Rose UK sales rep is based on the South West so you could contact him if you live close by to organise a test ride. I spoke to him a while back and if I remember correctly they are also linked to a club in Richmond, London. Again if you contact him he could sort you out with a test ride if that's a more convenient location.
    There is a long Rose thread on the Your Road Bike section, so would be worth posting there to get some opinions.
    I have recommended Rose to a couple of friends and they have been very happy with their bikes. One went for the basic Aluminium road bike and the other the Carbon endurance bike with di2 and disc brakes.
  • Thanks Alex for your hint. Actually I live in Germany but unfortunately nowhere near to Bocholt. Based on the test rides I have done so far, I feel very comfortable with the geo of the X-Lite, plus I am in favour of the improved comfort level of the X-lite. However it would be great to read any experiences who have had the luck of riding both back to back. I'll have a look in the thread you just mentioned.

Cheers
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    As you have been a mentat in one of your many ghola lifetimes then use a projection to see what will be the best bike for you. :D
    Brian B.
  • Hehe well said, unfortunately I still feel like I am still stuck in my Axolotl tank ;-)

Anyways, seems like my purchase plans have just changed completely