Gt Grade alloy 105 vs Cannondale caadx 105.. Help!!

chris2392
chris2392 Posts: 30
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

This is going to be really long winded and boring and I apologise in advance.

At the moment I am using my road bikes for commuting and although they get me to work quick the lack of mudguards, components being ruined by rain and salt and the fact that I just don't trust the carbon frame to last much longer over the bumpy roads in bad weather means I am now considering taking advantage of the cycle to work scheme and getting something a little more robust.

The bikes I have got it down to (I think) as the title suggests are the Gt Grade alloy 105 and Cannondale caadx 105.

Both have their advantages such as the Gt has the better diskbrakes but the wheels have awful reviews. I know the Gt has mudguard and rack mounts which could come in handy but I think the Cannondale only has mudguards.

The Cannondale has a more aggressive geometry so would be better if my other bikes were out of action but still wanted to keep up with my mates and I'd imagine that like most Cannondale the welding is going to be beautiful unlike the Gt which looks like someone's gone at it with a can of silly string the kids cover your house with at Halloween when you don't have sweets so you offer them fruit... However the tyres on the Cannondale are far to fat. I would have to swap them out for some slicks straight away.

The weight is pretty much the same but the Cannondale at the moment is coming it at £100 less.

Pretty much guys I'm stuck. Any of you guys have experience of both? What would you go for? Do you have any other suggestions?

Has to come in under 1000..

Any advice much appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

Cannondale: https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV214055

Gt: https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-grade-10 ... e-EV240491

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The GT is uglier than an ugly thing that went back for seconds from the ugly stick. I just couldn't part with money for it and I'm not looker myself.

Have a look at the other thread on here about winter bike with discs for other options.
  • I have a Grade Tiagra, I quite like it! I'll admit the CAADX is better looking though. The Grade doesn't have rack mounts BTW. Just mudguard ones.

If the CAADX is £100 cheaper you could get it, upgrade the front brake to a Spyre and still have some change.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have you looked at whichever Jamis Renegade fits your budget? When I was looking, the a Renegade represented better value than the Grade. The only problem seems to be that Evans seems to be the main (only?) stockist
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I got a 2015 Alloy X grade for just over £1000 in a sale at the end of last year. If you can wait till October you can save a chunk.

I quite like the look of it. I haven't even switched to my summer bike yet.