New bibs, Rivelo Rapha Core La Passione or other? Maybe jersey too

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I've been looking for a new pair of bibs for a while and narrowed it down to the below
Rapha Core £80 (with survey discount)
Rivello £50
La Passione £70 although may well get a jersey from them too given prices and a 15% first order discout

Rapha`s are top wack for me at the moment plus I really don't think you need to spend anymore these days given all the competion out there. Are they good enough to warrant the extra £££ ? The Core jersey seams a bit thin for my needs too.
Rivellos seam a good price although not sure about the jersey designs so would just use them with my existing tops.
La Passione generally get good reviews, price is good but sizing is a bit of a concern given they'd have to go back to Italy.

I like a short leg given I am shortish but I think nost of these are quite long in the leg, any of them particularly long ?
The heavier weignt the better too as its not warm enough most of the time in the UK for flimsy thin bibs.
Any othere ideas in ths price range ?

Ive read the long threads on top bibs but just wondered if there are any new experiences out there to way me one way or the other.

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Pactimo. They do a number of different models, leg lengths are all different and are given on the website. 30% discount code available.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Chris71127
    Chris71127 Posts: 71
    Got a pair of rivelo honnister bibs. Comfortable and good quality and well worth £50.

Sizing is true to the guide.

Only pity is they are an English company, using Italian materials but sadly made in China
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    Chris71127 wrote:
    Got a pair of rivelo honnister bibs. Comfortable and good quality and well worth £50.

Only pity is they are an English company, using Italian materials but sadly made in China

Can I ask where you got your Rivelo bibs from? The Rivelo site is quoting £120 for the Honister bibs :(
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    Chris71127 wrote:

They look interesting - only available through Sport Pursuit...?

I have the LP's, and for me, they are outstanding.

Even though they are sold as summer shorts (I think) the material is fairly heavy, compared to my Rapha lightweight shorts, there is a world of difference in the material thickness.

Those are my two best pairs of shorts though, I just choose between the two depending on the climate, not had an opportunity to wear the Rapha's yet this year!
    Though I am taking them to France this week.

My second tier options, would be the Etxeondo Orhi bib shorts, really nice quality, just the pad is not quite as good as the above.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • galatzo
    Yep, Sports Pursuit is the place, some stuff is immediate delivery and some is a month away, check it carefully.

Pactimo don't really have anything in budget, bibs are all at least £95 and the only had some XL in the sale section.
    Just out of interest how does the Pactimo stuff size up ? and is delivery from the UK or USA ?
    - Hang on just saw the discount code comment - Where do I get that as that would make a difference ?

REDWhite are a bit much too, nearly got them when they has a 20% off during the Spring Classics and they've gone up since then too.

I'd try Conquest but they never have any bibs in my size apart from some Roubaix ones which given "Summer" in the UK may not be a bad shout !
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I'd be careful with LP shorts as they are very long in the leg. I think someone here did return them because they were that....I like them a lot though as I'm 6ft 2+ and longer leg suits. If they fit then I don't think they can be beaten....fit is snug, pad is excellent and they feel great on, no bunching etc...and the thicker material is well suited to UK climate....although I do change sometimes to something lighter when very warm.

To give some idea I own Rapha Pro Team and Assos FI 13 plus few others and also bought and sold Castelli Free Aero, but really rate the LP's.

not tried dhb new bibs which I think would be another good choice for vfm.
  • galatzo
    indyP wrote:
    I'd be careful with LP shorts as they are very long in the leg. I think someone here did return them because they were that....I like them a lot though as I'm 6ft 2+ and longer leg suits. If they fit then I don't think they can be beaten....fit is snug, pad is excellent and they feel great on, no bunching etc...and the thicker material is well suited to UK climate....although I do change sometimes to something lighter when very warm.

To give some idea I own Rapha Pro Team and Assos FI 13 plus few others and also bought and sold Castelli Free Aero, but really rate the LP's.

not tried dhb new bibs which I think would be another good choice for vfm.

Thanks
    They look right apart from the leg length and a Large on someone who is 5ft 7ish isn't going to work no matter how much I want them too :(
    So Rivello or Rapha Core ?
    The Pactimos are still over £100 with 30% off
    Common sense says Rivello as I have a £10 credit which I can use to offset the £5 postage.
    Any Rivello opinions ?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The Rivelo are okay - for £50. They're absolutely not a £120 pair of bibshorts though. They're useless with knee or leg warmers because the leg grippers just don't grip them. They grip ok if you're not wearing knee/leg warmers.
    More problems but still living....
  • daniel_b
    amaferanga wrote:
    The Rivelo are okay - for £50. They're absolutely not a £120 pair of bibshorts though. They're useless with knee or leg warmers because the leg grippers just don't grip them. They grip ok if you're not wearing knee/leg warmers.

Hmmm, sounds like I would find them not dissimilar to the Conquest offerings for £45 then.
    I have high hopes for Galibier.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    The red colouring puts me off on the long distance version, red just doesn't go with my colour scheme.
  • daniel_b
    Alex222 wrote:
    The red colouring puts me off on the long distance version, red just doesn't go with my colour scheme.

May be shallow, but same here!

At least the Rivelo's come in plain black.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    amaferanga wrote:

I think this would be the case with most shorts that have the rubbery/silicon grippers as opposed to the elasticated hem, as they need a skin-like surface to adhere to, but I have a pair of the Honister and have worn them with leg and knee warmers and not had any problems really. As long as the warmers are secure around the thigh you shouldn't have any problem. I agree about them not being a £120 pair - £50 a very good price but there's no way I'd have paid £120. They are pretty comfy though.

I have the Rivelo (as just mentioned), La Passione and I've just bough some Rapha classic (after years of procrastinating I used the survey discount). The shortest on the leg are the Rivelo, and the longest are probably the LP, which come to just above the knee on me (5'8" 58kg), the Rivelo are about 5cm above the knee, the Rapha somewhere inbetween.

I really like the LP, and have two pairs, but I have had a problem with the texture of the material, in that it has, in certain places 'roughed-up' (not really sure how best to describe it) - kind of like when an old jumper gets that bobbled effect, but it's localised to one 3cm area next to the pad. I can only guess its friction against the saddle. It hasn't worsened and hasn't affected the performance otherwise, which is good as they are very comfortable.
  • bendertherobot
    Alex222 wrote:

As in the bib mesh?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Alex222 wrote:

As in the bib mesh?
    Wondering whether it would show through on more see through tops
  • bendertherobot
    I'd say it's possible. But very few I'd imagine. Though it's an interesting point as a number of manufacturers now have white and black mesh options (see Rapha I think).

What I would say is that the Race are, for me, virtual perfection and I cannot see, without testing, what more the bibs could offer.
  • galatzo
    Sorry error posting.
  • galatzo
    amaferanga wrote:

I think this would be the case with most shorts that have the rubbery/silicon grippers as opposed to the elasticated hem, as they need a skin-like surface to adhere to, but I have a pair of the Honister and have worn them with leg and knee warmers and not had any problems really. As long as the warmers are secure around the thigh you shouldn't have any problem. I agree about them not being a £120 pair - £50 a very good price but there's no way I'd have paid £120. They are pretty comfy though.

I have the Rivelo (as just mentioned), La Passione and I've just bough some Rapha classic (after years of procrastinating I used the survey discount). The shortest on the leg are the Rivelo, and the longest are probably the LP, which come to just above the knee on me (5'8" 58kg), the Rivelo are about 5cm above the knee, the Rapha somewhere inbetween.

I really like the LP, and have two pairs, but I have had a problem with the texture of the material, in that it has, in certain places 'roughed-up' (not really sure how best to describe it) - kind of like when an old jumper gets that bobbled effect, but it's localised to one 3cm area next to the pad. I can only guess its friction against the saddle. It hasn't worsened and hasn't affected the performance otherwise, which is good as they are very comfortable.

Thanks for this, very useful.
    Seems I have to reluctantly rule our LP.
    Trying not to spend Rapha money so
    Its down to Rivello
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/624197
    Or these Pactimo (less 30%)
    http://www.pactimo.com/shop/uk/ascent-v ... n-s-1.html

Thinking cheaper the better as now I have a bit more time to ride I'm going to drop half a stone pretty quickly.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've got several pairs of Lusso Pro Gel which can be had for under £50 if you shop around on-line. I have always found them great or my sort of long distances (70 miles or so) and I have heard good things about other shorts in their range as well. I really don't want to start another debate about the merits (or otherwise) of Rapha but I will also add that I've got a pair of their classic bibs which I like a lot but am not really convinced that they are any more comfortable than the aforementioned Lussos (over the same 70 odd miles which is my max ride) despite being over three times the price. Another big plus point for Lusso is that they are made in this country (Manchester, I think).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • daniel_b
    oooh, they get good reviews don't they, and can be had for £40, interesting.

EDIT: Just noticed Merlin have the £95 Peloton Pro in Small only for £50, but this review makes me think they will be too spacious for me :-(
    Comfortable & very well made bib shorts. They are a bit longer & larger than expected but the sizing is probably about right. Compared to some brands Italian sizing you'll definitely need to size down. These in a small are noticeably bigger than some medium Morvelo bib shorts.

Might be a good call for someone else on here though.

Oh and this has also put me off as well:
    These really are shorts that are most at home on the very longest of rides. At its thickest the chamois is a pretty bulky 14mm thick and is also fairly wide. This provides a good layer of protection between your backside and saddle, which makes for an exceptionally comfortable pair of shorts for big days out, particularly when riding in a more upright position. The only snag is that this amount of material gets in the way a bit when you go down onto the drops and ride hard.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • harrijames
    harrijames Posts: 21
    I'll throw another pair into the mix, the Dhb Asv bibs from Wiggle are superb. Better than the Assos S7 Neopro in my book
  • bendertherobot
    Yeah, the Lusso are very normal sized. So worth sizing down IMO
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    I've DHB asv,la passione and Rapha classics and I can't really tell much of a difference in them but the la passione are longer th an the others, if I was replacing now I would opt for the DHB asv
  • galatzo
    Just to update you as its not nice when people ask for advice and then you never know what they did.
    I ordered some Sportful Fiandre light shorts and short sleeve top at a knock down price from Wiggle.
    Both in XL the shorts were about right other than leg length as I'm a bit short. I could have got in to a Large but I don't think the leg length would have been that different so they were returned. The pad in the shorts was very nice as was the lycra.The top was huge. Size down in this top guys, I think I may even have got in to a Medium if the shorts had fit and I was going to keep both (I`m sure most Sportful XL jerseys are a smaller fit than these). I liked the idea of something a bit waterproof as lets be honest its not that sunny here and roads are often damp but they didn't fit so thats that.
    Oh yeah, weird bum flap on the rear of the shorts but I'm sure it works well and isn't that noticable in the riding position. The jersey has a poacher pocket you unzip rather than the traditional 3 pockets to access gels etc that are in your normal jerset that your supposed to wear underneath.
    Got a pair of Rivelo Honister bibs coming tomorrow hopefully so I'll let you know how these turn out.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I have the La Passione bibs and as other have said they are quite long in the leg. However, if that's not a problem and it isn't for me thankfully, they are excellent shorts and are fast becoming my favourite pair of shorts above all sorts of others including Rapha, Castelli and Assos.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Got some Chapeau Pave bibs and well happy with them so far;big test will be Ride London next month.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • galatzo
    Well I received the Rivelo Honister bibs eventually yesterday (ordered Fri morn, sent Mon, delivered on Wed and that costs a fiver?? Wiggle do next day for £3.99) and as someone said they're not £120 bibs, quite nice for £50 but very high on the waist and long on the leg for me, pad is about average IMO and lycra the same so the search goes on.
    May sack it off till next Spring given the weather we're having anyway !
  • daniel_b
    That is dissappointing about the Rivelos but ties in with an above review.
    No personal experience, but noticed shuttvr have a code that makes their base shorts a tad under 60 notes. For my money, the £48 galibiers are looking top drawer though - for sub £50 anyway.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18