Tyres for a race bike to make it less racy

hvm5
hvm5 Posts: 13
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I got a Scultura carbon, comes with Continental Ultra Sport II 23mm tyres. The ride is a bit hard. I'm new to road bikes so can anyone recommend some chunkier tyres that can be run at a lower pressure to make it less harsh. There seems to be plenty of clearance front and rear, what size do you recommend I move up to?

Comments

• ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Open Pave in 27c are very comfy, if they fit your frame.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You haven't said what pressure the 23s are at currently. It is quite possible you could run them at a lower pressure, although if you are new to road bikes, then it should be no surprise that you find the ride 'hard'. I used to run 23s at 80psi on training rides and the ride was nice and smooth...
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 28 would be my choice.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • hvm5
    Not sure what the current pressure are, I'm overseas with just a mini pump to hand. They look skinny and feel rock hard.

Not sure if the frame will take 28's, can't found any info online either.
  • hvm5 wrote:
    They look skinny and feel rock hard.

That would be my preference also
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy a track pump first. With a gauge so you can see how hard they are.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Your challenge will be the space to fit tyres into. I found 4 seasons gripped and rolled well with only two punctures, a thorny branch i accidentally rode over and a sharp piece of metal in the winter hidden in the muck on the road.

Also specialized roubaix pro tyres 25/28, 28mm case, 25mm tread. Very smooth ride, good grip and even took them off road and still no punctures.

Not tried any other good quality tyres to comment.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Cougie has it spot on: don't look for new tyres, look for a decent track pump with a gauge and get the pressure right.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Manufactures website shows current model bike comes with 25c as standard.
  • hvm5
    max I can go is 25c.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Can you fit tubeless tyres on your rims? They can be run at lower pressures (80/90 on mine with 23c tyres) and even more comfy with 25s.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava