Rise and length of replacement stem for Cervelo S2

dannyboy2233
dannyboy2233 Posts: 4
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello all,
I have a roughly 2012-era Cervelo S2. It's a beautiful bike, but it's currently outfitted with a ~110 mm stem with a <10 degree rise, and it hurts my back and shoulders to go on long rides; I'm too hunched over. I need the handlebars to be higher up and closer to me, as they are currently too far away and still markedly lower than the seat. I was thinking of purchasing a short stem with a lot of rise, as I have no room for more spacers. What would be the effect of outfitting it with, say, a 60 mm, 25-30 degree stem? I would obviously lose the racing geometry, but comfort is (for now) the more important factor. Would I lose handling? Could there be any other complications? If a stem like that would be suitable, are there any specific makes that you all would recommend? Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Danny

Comments

• Sounds like you've not got the right size frame.

While you can make adjustments to 'make it fit' this could give you more longer term issues.

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    110mm to 60mm is quite a jump. The bike will handle significantly differently. The steering will feel alot faster and twitchier. a 60mm stem is really designed for a mtb. Its best to go shorter in 10mm increments. Try 90-100mm

Have you been riding like this since 2012 ? or is it a new purchase ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above - that's a mahoosif jump. Wrong sized frame I'm afraid - you could hodge something together (ie one of those incredibly ugly steerer extension things) but you're only papering over the fundamental flaws.

If you do go ahead with it you'll also need to trim cables and it'll handle, error, quite special.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks everyone. I have been riding it like this for roughly a year after purchasing it used. Replacing the frame isn't really in the cards right now, so I basically just need to know whether my proposed change is feasible. I'm not an extremely skilled cyclist, I just purchased the Cervelo because I got a great deal on it and was hoping that I could adapt to its geometry. Since I can't seem to be able to, I want to make it as comfortable as possible. Thanks!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I think people are probably suggesting you replace the bike - move it on and buy something that fits better...
  • Imposter wrote:
    I think people are probably suggesting you replace the bike - move it on and buy something that fits better...
    As I said, replacing the bike itself is not an option. Do you have any input or experience regarding handling with shorter stems?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    As I said, replacing the bike itself is not an option. Do you have any input or experience regarding handling with shorter stems?

Yes - and I agree with what others have said. But needing such a short stem usually means your frame is much too big.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Put a shorter stem on, it'll feel different for a little while, you'll soon get used to the handling difference, which will be much more suited to you on that particular frame - enjoy
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....