Rear Wheel/Derailleur issue

the_jackalcp
the_jackalcp Posts: 276
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I'm looking for some advice on how to resolve a problem I have with my rear wheel spokes and derailleur touching.

The wheel in question is a Pacenti sl23 laced to an Aivee SR5 hub (11sp). I've just installed a 10 speed 28t cassette and am struggling to get the derailleur to stop touching the spokes in the 28t ring. There has always been clearance issue (ie very close) no matter what cassette I use but now the only way to make it work is by running the quick release very loose. Any tighter and the the derailleur is pushed towards the spokes and they start to rub. The limit screw is screwed down all the way, a new hanger has been fitted and the appropriate spacers are on the freehub.

I have another set of wheels that run a Novatec 482sl hub and they have loads of clearance so I can't see how it's a frame or setup issue. Could it be something to do with the hub dimensions or the way the wheel is built? Would a different hub be likely to end my woes? I realise it should work but I have never had such a headache with other wheels over the years.
https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
IG - bikeauthority.cc

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    File some material off the derailleur :)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Have you got the correct spacer for the hub to make it 10 speed compatible? Try a slightly thicker spacer and adjust the rear derailleur accordingly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • could be the dishing of the wheel needs looking at?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Is the wheel central in the stays, as above could be a dishing problem.
  • the_jackalcp
    The freehub won't accept any more spacers so that is out and there is no further adjustment anyway. The wheel looks pretty central when in the drop outs.

Wheels are one of my weak points when it comes to bike maintenance. How can dish be an issue and can I check it myself or is this a shop job?
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    different dishing would explain variation between wheels, but it sounds like there's more than that involved

you say a new hanger has been fitted, but is it aligned? alignment depends on the system as a whole, not just the hanger
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • the_jackalcp
    No I haven't had the alignment checked with a tool, I just fitted the new hanger which is one thing to consider. My only thought is that if it was an alignment issue then why is one wheel a problem and another not. I will post some pictures to illustrate the differences
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Presumably your rear hub is standard width or it wouldn't fit in the drop outs? Your rim is central you say when checked. Your derailleur if set correctly, would have the upper jockey wheel directly under the largest sprocket on the cassette. Your derailleur therefore shouldn't then be touching the spokes or come into contact with them. A silly question, but you have got the spacer on before the cassette haven't you and not after it? If it's on the correct way, there can only be a few potential causes.
    1 The spacer is the wrong one.
    2 The derailleur isn't set correctly
    3 The hanger is bent so the derailleur is angled towards the wheel instead of vertical
    4 The wheel isn't true or set centrally
    5 The derailleur is bent
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    have you adjusted the correct limit screw?

(i'd check the hanger is straight too)
  • the_jackalcp
    So rather than keep reinstalling and adjusting the derailleur I decided to take a different approach. Cue canabalisation of the winter bike and hey presto it's working. Seems like my rear mech was damaged/ worn out as the new mech has heaps more clearance and adjustment at the limit screws.

Thanks to everyone for reading and trying to help. As a note for future readers, the above advice is very sound and definitely a good starting point for anyone suffering similar problems
    IG - bikeauthority.cc