Garmin 520 advice

feisty
feisty Posts: 161
edited June 2016 in Road general
I've had a Garmin 520 and been very happy with it. I have stuck with version 3 of the software and never updated, as it worked. Today, the software updated itself to 6.20 (despite me having garmin express set up not to do that)

On the Garmin support forum there are a number of posters saying version 6.00 and 6.20 of the firmware has bugs and the Garmin turns off mid-ride. This could be a vocal minority (not dismissing the frustration for them) given it is on a support forum where people with problems are more likely to post, or it could be more widespread

Have people on here had any issues with their 520s on software 6.20. (Wondering if there is a way to revert back should there be problems)

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Cant comment on the 520 but I know the firmware updates on the 810 have been really buggy. Reverting back to what it came with sorted things.

Firmware for all models found here : http://www.gawisp.com/perry/edge/

Reverting back is a matter of downloading the right version of the software, copying it to the unit and then rebooting it.
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    thanks. Have now reverted. Looks OK
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've recently got a 520, and very happy with it. I read something about making sure you kept the firmware updated (possibly on the DC Rainmaker website) so updated to 6.20 last week. Apart from having to reset a couple of settings it's been fine since.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm a firm advocate of Garmin, but they are the biggest cocks for getting their customers to test their firmware, although Wahoo seem to be going along similar lines.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I'm happy with my 520, despite never using the "not so live" Strava seg feature.
    The only problem I've had with the 520 on one or two occasions is it mysteriously dropped the speed, cadence, heart rate sensors for a minute then came back again. This has happened at the same location, pure coincidence or was something there transmitting some interference?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'm a firm advocate of Garmin, but they are the biggest cocks for getting their customers to test their firmware, although Wahoo seem to be going along similar lines.

Never a truer word... reverting firmware when already implemented however is not without its own risks!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    ben@31 wrote:
    I'm happy with my 520, despite never using the "not so live" Strava seg feature.
    The only problem I've had with the 520 on one or two occasions is it mysteriously dropped the speed, cadence, heart rate sensors for a minute then came back again. This has happened at the same location, pure coincidence or was something there transmitting some interference?
    There could be. ANT+ uses the 2.4GHz band which is also used for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, video senders, baby monitors. Microwave ovens also use 2.4GHz microwaves so if one has less good shielding it can leak interfering radiation.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've got the latest version on my 520 and it's fine.

Just can't get Strava segments to upload to it though. But that's been the case from the off.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I've switched off the segments thing. its rubbish.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    philbar72 wrote:
    I've switched off the segments thing. its rubbish.

Works great for me... no problems other than on a couple of longer segments it's shown me 10+ seconds down almost immediately after the "GO" on entering the segment. As these seem to have been longer segments I've stuck with it and clawed back the time. I'm not too ambitious and only really try to beat my own current PB. I've found it a great motivator that has kept me fighting longer than I would have just guessing my performance.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bigglosfan
    bigglosfan Posts: 15
    I've had mine a week and upgraded the software. No problems so far. I love the 'live' segments - did take few minutes playing around to get them on the device. Not sure how I got it to work in the end but was a combination of having the connect app on my phone open, express on my pc and the garmin usb'd in! all the starred segments I had loaded up.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just sorted out the issue - on the segments dashboard on the garmin connect website, you need to swap from garmin segments to strava segments. then follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHH9EFguAsY
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Mine is on the 3.X software and works perfectly (dont use segments) so I'm not upgrading till all of the bugs have been ironed out, which may be never.