Bike computer

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited June 2016 in Road general
After several years of use both of my Cateye micro computers have finally died.
I liked them as being a real techno fobe they were just about as technical as need to go however the screen was a bit on the small side. Can anyone recommend any others that are not to difficult to set up/operate.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Depending on your budget the Garmin Edge 20 or the 25 if you want more options like cadence etc.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Road.cc have a review of bike computers on their Facebook page today.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    If you want a straightforward ordinary computer, I like the Cateye Strada Slim Wireless. Easy to set up and use and its screen is bigger than the Micro.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Garmin bicycle computers on road.cc today.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    The advantage with GPS devices is that there is only one element - the computer itself - rather than fork receivers and spoke magnets etc to worry about.

The disadvantage is that they typically cost a bit more than the basic non-gps computers.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Second hand Edge 500 would be my recco. One unit, lasts forever and dead simple to use. No extra sensors needed, unless you want HR/Cadence (which you probably do).
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    cgfw201 wrote:
    Second hand Edge 500 would be my recco. One unit, lasts forever and dead simple to use. No extra sensors needed, unless you want HR/Cadence (which you probably do).

I suspect that the OP (being a techno phobe) would probably not use a cadence/HR but just want to ride his bike and track rides. In which case the 200 is a much more cost-effective option and can be had for very reasonable prices if one shops around. They work, plain and simple, in all weather, have a nice clear screen and good battery life. Uploading routes to Garmin/Strava is very straightforward too, as in plug it in to PC/laptop with the right s/w loaded and wait 5 minutes.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I have several Cateye Strada Cadence computers mounted on several bicycles.

They are just the ticket for me.

They give the barest information (current speed, average speed, ET, max speed, current cadence and so on) and take up little room on the bar or stem.

They are idiot-proof (I can use them) and almost set themselves up.

I have no idea whether they are still available, but the last one I bought was about £30 so they might be less by now.

I am the original Luddite; all others are imposters.

I even have one mounted on an ancient self-built fixie, so I can use thew cadence meter to select the right gear for each incline. That may not be the smartest thing I ever did, but nor is it the most stupid.

I love to ride with 'up-to-date' cyclists who never tire of telling me how many metres we've climbed or joules we've burned or degrees of latitude we've intersected.... It's just a bike ride and a Cateye Strada Cadence is all you'll ever need.