Alternatives for shifters/ brake levers?

Spitty
Spitty Posts: 4
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi - my first post! I have an 11 year old Cannondale R500 with Shimano 105 components everywhere except the brifters, which are Tiagra. I have small hands and I'm looking for an alternative for brake levers / shifters - one with a more modern pivot point and adjustability. (I know about the shimming trick; doesn't work in my case because my problem is not reaching OUT to the levers, it's reaching DOWN from the hoods. I basically can only stop if I'm on the drops; from the hoods, I'm just squeezing the tops of the levers.) The problem is that my 11 year old bike has a 3x9 drivetrain. I don't have the money to change everything; so I'm interested in finding alternative components that I might use with my 9 speed system. The only one I know of is the Shimano Sora; and I figure that a 2016 Sora has got to perform as well as my 2005 Tiagra shifters, right? But I'd like to know whether there are any other options out there. Ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Spitty wrote:
    Hi - my first post! I have an 11 year old Cannondale R500 with Shimano 105 components everywhere except the brifters, which are Tiagra. I have small hands and I'm looking for an alternative for brake levers / shifters - one with a more modern pivot point and adjustability. (I know about the shimming trick; doesn't work in my case because my problem is not reaching OUT to the levers, it's reaching DOWN from the hoods. I basically can only stop if I'm on the drops; from the hoods, I'm just squeezing the tops of the levers.) The problem is that my 11 year old bike has a 3x9 drivetrain. I don't have the money to change everything; so I'm interested in finding alternative components that I might use with my 9 speed system. The only one I know of is the Shimano Sora; and I figure that a 2016 Sora has got to perform as well as my 2005 Tiagra shifters, right? But I'd like to know whether there are any other options out there. Ideas?

Thanks.

You could consider installing some cross top brake levers. These are secondary levers that are attached to the top of the bars so that you have braking options when your hands are in that position. However they don't quite address the issue od braking when you are on the hoods. You would still have to move your hands to reach the levers to apply any braking force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtPBPn3kXlM
  • Spitty
    Thanks; I had thought of that, but that doesn't really improve my situation. I need to be able to brake without having to move my hands off the hoods (this is for riding in traffic).

Does anyone know of any component brands that have a 9 speed group? Where I live, people seem only to sell / be aware of Shimano components.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Microshift do them and are meant to be pretty good - I believe Shimano compatible as well.

Available t Tredz amongst others.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    cross top levers should solve your problem. In traffic just ride on the tops. You can also ditch the STI's for bar end shifters and the Tektro brake levers RL 341 for small hands.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Try some new brake calipers instead like the latest 105 5800's. They are way more powerful than previous versions.
  • Spitty
    Thanks, everyone, for you suggestions.