Pumping up Continental Ultra Sport tyres?

Lyndonius
Lyndonius Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
At risk of sounding like an idiot but im new to cycling. It says on my tyres (Continental Ultra Sport)120psi so what should I put in them? I have pushed the pump to 50 psi and they are solid as a rock! I was hoping to go out for my first spin tommorow on this Cannondale R 1000 I bought but I would like to get the tyres inflated correctly. I had to spin this threaded piece of metal right down to pump in any air at all at there was no mention of that!

I love this bike and cant wait to try it out. Its old so I hope I dont experience any issues with it especially with the gears as they cost a bomb. Its light as hell and looks awesome for a 2002 model though!

Please help! :(

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well if your tyres are really rock solid on 50psi I would suggest your gauge is faulty !

For 23mm tyres most would recommend somewhere between 90 and 110 psi - that is maybe 10 psi lower than most would have recommended 10 years ago. Your weight, road conditions, weather will play a part. If you are on 25mm tyres you might go 10psi lower. That's a starting point - you may find some recommend a touch lower - I wouldn't argue necessarily but the above is what I would recommend.

50psi is too low really - you'll get pinch flats more easily and I would expect handling to feel a bit off.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lyndonius
    Lyndonius Posts: 3
    Many thanks!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Lyndonius wrote:
    At risk of sounding like an idiot but im new to cycling. It says on my tyres (Continental Ultra Sport)120psi so what should I put in them? I have pushed the pump to 50 psi and they are solid as a rock! I was hoping to go out for my first spin tommorow on this Cannondale R 1000 I bought but I would like to get the tyres inflated correctly. I had to spin this threaded piece of metal right down to pump in any air at all at there was no mention of that!

I love this bike and cant wait to try it out. Its old so I hope I dont experience any issues with it especially with the gears as they cost a bomb. Its light as hell and looks awesome for a 2002 model though!

Please help! :(

The bolded bit caught my eye.

Is that on the valve of the tube?
    If so, that's the presta valve, and you need to unwind it so it's further away from the tyre.
    You then tap it down once and you'll hear some air come out.
    Then attach and lock on your track pump, and start inflating to the desired pressure.
    Most people these days sit somewhere aroung 80-100psi.
    Remove the pump, screw the threaded bit all the way back down again.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Psi depends largely on your weight and the tyre width.

The heavier you are the higher the psi.
    The wider the tyre the lower the psi.

There's a good graph around on the Internet to help you. You basically work out how much weight each wheel has on it. So the front wheel can be lower.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Invest in a track pump. Its a rite of passage without which you may not proceed