Commuting Backpack/Rucksack

slowmonkey
slowmonkey Posts: 48
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

In today's biblical downpour I found out that my flimsy backpack was not waterproof!

Any recommendations on a waterproof backpack or ruck sack for daily commute?

Require something light, strong and able to breathe on my back? Needs to hold laptop and daily change of clothes.

Budget up to £50.

There is a lot of variety out there, just looking for some real world recommendations if possible!

Thanks

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Not a personal recommendation as have no experience of it.... popped up on my facebook feed today...worth a go at £7 surely? http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/hydrotec ... b+Networks
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Alpkit do a range of dry bag rucksacks in different sizes. Perfect for yiu.
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    Personally I use a normal rucksack with a fluorescent waterproof cover and internally use a drysack. Been caught in rain. Hail. Lightening. The works. No leaks atnalk through to the laptop or clothes so happy with the belt and braces approach and a preference to me than an overpriced waterproof rucksack
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Just put the contents in a plastic bag. Cost you five pence, tops.
  • Holmesy321
    Holmesy321 Posts: 37
    Kind of depends if you want something with pockets and stuff for organising, or just a big cavernous hole that will fit everything in...

I fit into the former of those camps, and I bought an Osprey Escapist 25 in a sale at Evans for 45 quid or so I think it was.

Fits my 15 inch laptop and gym clothes in, and has a decent pocket with space for organising bits and pieces. The built in rain cover is massive and keeps the whole pack very dry. The breathability is a whole lot better than my old backpack - though I sweat regardless of whether I have a bag on or not...
  • jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    I have the alpkit Gordon 25 and like you was cycling through the biblical rain !

I had my work clothes, laptop, 2 X iPhones and wallet / keys etc

When I got home everything was bone dry !!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Just bought a Giro Commuter for very same reason, used I might add, full price made my eyes water!
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Wrap everything in plastic shopping or bin bags, actually double bag the lot. That's the cheapest option and it works.
  • kelliano
    kelliano Posts: 72
    Another one for Alpkit.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-20

Perfect for the commute.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I like the rapha backpack which you may be able to pick up on eBay near budget. Good to carry a laptop with limited overall capacity. I have a lower back issue so I don't want a massive bag with potential to overload my back. The rapha bag is just the right capacity for my needs and comes with a water resistant cover in a concealed compartment.

Peter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Internal drysac as already mentioned. Plastic bags are OK but you can get a podsack from Planet X in a sale for less than a fiver and it will be more practical and last longer than a drysack backpack. What's nice about them is that you can leave air in them so they balloon when you close them which avoids shirts getting crumpled.

Then any rucksack with an air back will do although really, putting the luggage on the bike is infinitely better.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPXHIVIZD ... iz-daypack

Ive been using this every day for 2 years - best backpack I've ever had.
    Used in all weathers and everything remains dry, room for laptop etc, lots of cycling specific touches like a helmet holder that wraps over the front and a separate shoe holder at the bottom of the bag. The colour is also a bonus as its nice and bright and there is reflective piping as well.

Great bag for the money - I would buy again in a heartbeat - and I've used all the bags mentioned here so far! :D
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Bump for the alpkit. I have the 25 and 30l variants and provided perfect use for commuting and shopping.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Olas
    Olas Posts: 54
    Use a dueter Race EXP Air when wet, has a mesh that keeps you back drier and a fluorescent rain cover
    Other sizes available

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-exp-air-rucksack/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Deuter Bike One 20.

Pretty water resistant itself, has a high viz waterproof cover.

Fits lots in
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 for the Alpkit - waterproof. I use them for kayaking too - you can drop them in a river with no dramas.

I dont get why you'd bother with a rucksack ane then put a liner in it. Just messy.

Also look at LOMO- they do a fluo drysack pack.
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    Fenix wrote:
    +1 for the Alpkit - waterproof. I use them for kayaking too - you can drop them in a river with no dramas.

I dont get why you'd bother with a rucksack ane then put a liner in it. Just messy.

Also look at LOMO- they do a fluo drysack pack.

I do it because I have a trusty old rucksack, but not waterproof, nor water resistant. So a dry-sack is a nice easy and cheap option to sort the minor flaw in an otherwise comfy to wear sack