BB30 to shimano issue

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I hope someone can advise on something I've missed or overlooked.

Bought a while back a boardman mountain bike frame off ebay for cheap and had a load of spare bits so built up a bike.

After tweaking gears and what not there seems to be an issue with the bottom bracket, after a few days there is now a clicking coming from this area, it doesn't sound like a creak.

Its more noticeable when stood up pedalling.

the bottom bracket is a Rotor bb30 to shimano 24mm, its one of them similar to praxis works that screw together to hold in place.

The instructions said to fit the non drive side in first, the fit was so tight I used grease and a piece of threaded bar and plastic spacers to press in to the frame and then screw the right side up with bb tool.

then I fitted the crank as normal.

I cant see what is wrong, the bearings spin smooth as you would expect from a 5 day old bb, preload on the bearings is fine.

On the bearing preload is this different to how you would set it on a shimano bb?

Not sure what else to check non drive side crank arm bolts maybe too tight, pedal axles?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    On the bearing preload is this different to how you would set it on a shimano bb?
    No, set it up exactly the same.

Did you grease the driveside?

I had an annoying click, sounded just like a BB bearing issue, swapped the BB (one side was getting a bit stiff anyway so not a biggy) and the noise was still there - it was a pedal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, set it up exactly the same.

Did you grease the driveside?

I had an annoying click, sounded just like a BB bearing issue, swapped the BB (one side was getting a bit stiff anyway so not a biggy) and the noise was still there - it was a pedal.

yep greased both sides, the screw thread on the two bb parts already had factory grease on them so left that as was.

I was wondering about pedals as it's certainly coming from this area.

Could also the right side bb cup be too tight I wonder.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clipless makes it easy to check for pedals, unclip and pedal one legged on each side in turn!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Clipless makes it easy to check for pedals, unclip and pedal one legged on each side in turn!

I do have another set of spare pedals so will try them and just check over the bolts in case any of this is an issue.

Whoever decided to use bb30 on mtb frames needs to have a word with just a pain to fit, nothing wrong with bsa screw threaded.
  • If you have no joy I ended up getting the fsa sleeve pressed in by my lbs.Available from chain reaction. . It's bonded with loctite. Left me free to use external bearings trouble free.cost about £30.00 with fitting.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    If you have no joy I ended up getting the fsa sleeve pressed in by my lbs.Available from chain reaction. . It's bonded with loctite. Left me free to use external bearings trouble free.cost about £30.00 with fitting.

^^^ this is my recommendation for BB30 - replace with BSA sleeve and have a hassle free shimano BB
  • swod1
    Tried another set of pedals still had the clicking.

took out the bb and started again seems the clicking is caused by an over tight left hand side bb cup the bit that screws together.

Adjusted this and the clicking has gone away, when fitted it seems the cups can't be too tight and need to be just right otherwise there'll be a click/creak noise.

While I had it out I popped off the plastic seal and there is sealed cartridge bearing in side so easy to service/replace.
  • swod1
    If you have no joy I ended up getting the fsa sleeve pressed in by my lbs. Available from chain reaction. . It's bonded with loctite. Left me free to use external bearings trouble <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">free.cost</span> about £30.00 with fitting.
    dgunthor wrote:
    ^^^ this is my recommendation for BB30 - replace with BSA sleeve and have a hassle free shimano BB

Still cant sort out this, the clicking noise is back again and its definitely not pedals.

I want to make this bottom bracket work due to the cost of it but now looking at the bsa sleeve, should be easy to fit I have a home made press.

What shimano bottom brackets can you then use with the sleeve?
  • dgunthor
    swod1 wrote:

anything - it's the standard english threaded bottom bracket - so square taper, octalink, hollowtech II
  • swod1
    dgunthor wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

anything - it's the standard english threaded bottom bracket - so square taper, octalink, hollowtech II

So will even the xtr bottom bracket with the smaller cups work with this or are you recommended to use the larger style?

Looking at the questions on chain reaction cycles they have said you don't need to use the loctite when fitting but some state you do.

Its an option I'm going to consider but need to sort out why the current bb is clicking, it was this I bought and have fitted to my bike http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/roto ... prod130498

Something is either too tight or not tight enough.
  • dgunthor
    swod1 wrote:
    So will even the xtr bottom bracket with the smaller cups work with this or are you recommended to use the larger style?

either will fit fine, the newer narrower ones have less friction apparently
    swod1 wrote:
    Looking at the questions on chain reaction cycles they have said you don't need to use the loctite when fitting but some state you do.

i've not used the loctite yet and had no problems (fitted 3)
    swod1 wrote:
    Its an option I'm going to consider but need to sort out why the current bb is clicking, it was this I bought and have fitted to my bike http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/roto ... prod130498

might be that the bearing is damaged if it's been too tight - did similar recently, bearing feels rough after being installed incorrectly. if you rotate the bearing by hand, is it notchy/rough?
  • swod1
    dgunthor wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

might be that the bearing is damaged if it's been too tight - did similar recently, bearing feels rough after being installed incorrectly. if you rotate the bearing by hand, is it notchy/rough?

Checked the bearings and they run smooth.

Can't see what else to check bearing preload, crank arm bolts?

There is a tiny gap about 1mm on the left side, should the bearing and arm be both fitted up close together?

I've even checked headset for any noise and can say its not that.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Try your saddle, seatpost, saddle rail fitting. I had clicking like a thin metallic ping from what I thought was the front end - headset, wheel, ashtray - you know - just could not find it and tried everywhere. Was the tension on the seat bolts ffs.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • swod1
    FishFish wrote:
    Try your saddle, seatpost, saddle rail fitting. I had clicking like a thin metallic ping from what I thought was the front end - headset, wheel, ashtray - you know - just could not find it and tried everywhere. Was the tension on the seat bolts ffs.

I checked all those and it's definitely the bottom bracket.

I've readjusted it last week and no clicking or anything come to ride my bike yesterday and the clicking noise was back.

Had enough of this adapter, I've gone and ordered the bsa sleeve and xt bottom bracket.

If that doesn't work then there must be a fault with the frame.