How long do you guys and gals keep your bibshorts before getting rid?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,875
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Curious really.

Just recently I have binned an old pair of Santini's, as the pad had become wafer thin, and also a nasty horrible pair of Altura shorts, that were just plain offensive (Shiny material and nasty pad), but I continued to hammer them on the trainer to get my moneys worth out of them.
A £23 bargain from Evans.

I am now wondering if the Sportful shorts I bought from Halfords 2 years ago are coming to the end of their servicable life, as the pads are also pretty thin in those.

When do you make the decision to bin them and replace, just on when it becomes uncomfortable?

I already use less plush shorts for shorter turbo sessions, but if it's a 2 hour + Trainerroad session, I find I need the utmost in comfort, especially if it's a high cadence one, as they are prone to be.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    when they are either
    a) Seethrough at the bank
    b) uncomfortable
    c) ripped/torn/falling apart

when else would you chuck them?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When others on a group ride ask you to stop winking at them...relegate to turbo duties
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I think I've done well with a pair of Funkier shorts for two years. A flat pad means they are destined for the bin now despite being comfortable eveywhere else.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    coriordan wrote:
    when they are either
    b) uncomfortable

You put on bibshorts to go to the bank?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I binned my last pair of DHB bibshorts when they started becoming a bit baggy. Think the lycra was going and it coincided with me losing 18 pounds. It meant that the pad was moving about and occasionally snagging on the saddle when I stood on the pedals.
    That and a change of kit colour; they had bright blue panels and I'd decided to switch to red and black stuff in future.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I've got some Assos ones that are probably 10 years old, pad is still fine although they are a bit see through on the side panels. I reckon they've got another couple of years in them wearing them once a week.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    keef66 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    when they are either
    b) uncomfortable

That properly made me snort, not noticed that originally, fine spot Sir!

I am now picturing the bank teller saying to coriordan:
    "Excuse me Sir, but your, ummm, shorts have gone a bit, err, seethrough at the rearmost section"

That's all good, I have only been cycling intensely really for the last 3 years I would say, although have had bikes and limited kit since 2007, so this is the first year I have had to bin stuff really, aside from some old non bib dhb and Nike shorts I bought probably in about 2007.

I think as long as they are for turbo duty it doesn't matter what they look like, as long as they are comfortable, so I will carry on with the sportfuls for shorter sessions until it becomes uncomfortable, and then they will finally bite the dust.
    Can't complain really, a £25 bargain from Halfords, but only £50 originally, so not top, top end shorts.
    I have ordered some conquest shorts for £45 each, as I thought they might make good turbo shorts, both in terms of pad and the fact they are meant to be light weight, as it gets hot in the garage at this time of year, even with a fan going ten to the dozen.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    keef66 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    when they are either
    b) uncomfortable

When used as a balaclava
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Nothing worse than riding behind someone who's shorts have become transparent at the back :oops: :oops:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Daniel B wrote:

When do you make the decision to bin them and replace,

When the skidders won't wash out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have only ever thrown one pair to the bin, the rest keep getting worn but this thread has made me realise that I have at least 3 pairs close to needing the bin.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    A threadbare pair of shorts is an excellent deterrent for the wheelsuckers.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    When they literally fall apart.

When worn and getting baggy/see through they are relegated to winter (over the top of 3/4 length roubaix lined shorts) or turbo usage.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Wear once and return. Saves having to wash them.