Track frame for commuting

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited June 2016 in Road general
I have been looking at building a bike with track frame look s but with road bike practicality. Seems crazy but I do love the look of track bikes and love having fixed gear and only front brake . I use road bikes for big miles but love having a cool bike to zip to work on without gears. I have been looking at dolan pre cursa but it looks like it can only take up to 23mm tyres and clearance between wheel and fork / frame looks very small. Has anyone else had experience /problems with using one on the road. I would like to hear. Can any one recommended a different frame that might be suitable.

Comments

• debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    The geometry can be replicated up to a point, but if you use a track frame on the road, you will need to drill for (and fit) a front brake.

Although they're no longer fashionable, there's nothing really wrong with a 23mm tyre... particularly if you enjoy the jittery nature of a track bike.

If your commute involves hills and you'll be descending at close to (or above) 30mph, then I strongly recommend a rear brake too, which means more drilling and fitting and routing of cables.

Could you compromise on an off-the-peg fixie and put up with the slight relative lack of cred?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    They're a lot of fun for zipping around on - fast and responsive. Something like a Dolan FXE or a Pompino might be more suited to your needs if you want bigger tyre clearances - but I find 19-22mm tyres fine for general use. There are various options easily available that are suitable (GP4000S, Corsa CX, etc). I use a single front brake, and usually go with 75-85" for general road use; 91-96" for TTs with hills, and 104"+ for anything fast.
  • That's funny just asking about the the pompino are they any good.? The Dolan fxe is that the same geometry as the pre cursa think must have different fork.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    The Pompino is a good utility/all rounder - rack eyes, big clearances, cantis, comfy cromoly frame - not much like a track bike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I rode a Dolan track bike as a fixed gear for a number of years before the hipsters arrived and it got 'trendy' - mine was a aero-tubed scandium frame that had zero-give and it would beat you up. Thing to be careful of with track geo is front-wheel overlap due to steep headtube and short fork offset - I put a carbon road fork on mine to make handling more manageable. Whilst everyone says Pompino - it's a dead lump of pig-iron IME and I would look for something with more 'zing'. My current fixed gear bike is a Battaglin carbon road frame with a White ENO Eccentric hub - road bike geometry, runs 25mm tyres and front and rear brakes. I've also had a fixed gear CX with front disc - probably the best commuter option.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I had one of these made, good service (made to spec) and a massive thread over on lfgss;
    http://www.bikemielec.com/en/ostre_kolo_szosa.php
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Agree with Monty Dog partially on the Pompino. It's certainly not a nippy track frame. Pig iron is a little harsh though! They're a decent enough frameset and great for commuting and general workhorse duties, but if you want something light to chuck around, then it's not the right frame!

Not a track frame, but Condor Tempo ticks many boxes for a commuter.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I commute on a Specialized Langster - 23 mm, mudguards, track geometry (I think - I'm no track dude). It's a great ride, very nimble. Mine is fixed and runs the stock 75" gear which is fine both up and down the hills on my commute. Agree with the toe overlap issue, it's caught me out once (what do you do when your foot is the wrong side of the front wheel and the crank is fixed? Fall off of course...) but is a slow speed issue.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A track bike will not have road bike practicality.

toe overlap, lack of guards, drilling for brakes - if you sort all of that - its not a track bike.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Do you want any of the aforementioned practicality?
    Do you just want a track frame, front brake and clearance for say upto 28c tyres?

I'm currently riding a Cinelli Vigorelli with 25c tyres and think there is room to go bigger. I'm using a rear mounted bottle to carry tools and carry a small soft bottle in my rear pocket for sunny commutes. Link in signature.

Do you have a budget in mind? Would help with narrowing down frames, I like my Cinelli but you do pay extra for the name.

On toe overlap, I caught my foot in the front wheel turning at low speed twice in a week. That was years ago, you learn and adapt, the same way most of us learnt to use clip-less pedals, by falling over :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Some Cinelli frames are subtly drilled for a front brake - I was told the Vigorelli was one. It just wasnt sold with them as an option but would have been a matter of minutes and maybe 30 quid (10 if you got it second hand) to fit one
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iPete
    ddraver wrote:
    Some Cinelli frames are subtly drilled for a front brake - I was told the Vigorelli was one. It just wasnt sold with them as an option but would have been a matter of minutes and maybe 30 quid (10 if you got it second hand) to fit one

Yup they come with the hole covered up, 5 minutes with a drill sorted that out.
  • Thanks for all the advice budget 270 max not too bothered now on tyre size 25 or 23 fine. Frame needs to be large ie seat tube length 56 ish top tube about the same and head tube 150 ish . Cinelli are really nice but out of my budget unless second hand one comes up. I have just been looking at moda but it falls a bit short on top tube .
  • Just a little over your budget, and a bit old school, but could be fun:
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1768027/produ ... meset.aspx
  • Thanks xdoc this bike is exactly what I am looking for order placed. Very cool subtle styling love it. Perfect size too. Cheers.
  • iPete
    Great shout, keep us posted with the build.
  • Will do cheers.
  • Thanks xdoc this bike is exactly what I am looking for order placed. Very cool subtle styling love it. Perfect size too. Cheers.

Glad to be of help. Looking forward to pics of the finished build.
  • newton98
    newton98 Posts: 35
    FWIW, I ride a pre cursa with 25mm tyres all year round for commuting. Doesn't appear to have any clearance issues on the front or rear.