Sleeve / piping to make changing internally routed gear cable changes easier

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I'm finding it really hard to find a couple of lengths of this stuff - all the mechanic shops use them but they seem hard to get, and so can't sell / give me any.

I want to speed up changing my internally routed gear cables by using a very close fitting sleeve which I can thread over the entire length of the old gear cable before whipping the old gear cable out and then leaving a clear channel to rapidly run in the new cable, thus eliminating the faff of "threading" the new cable blindly through the frame which can take ages! The sleeve is then pulled over the new cable and removed entirely, leaving the new cable seated nicely.

Clear as mud??!!

Any help would be HUGELY welcome

PS the mechanic noted that this stuff comes in different diameters, and he needed a really narrow one to go through my frame apertures and over my old cable.

Cheers!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    gear cables are 1.1 / 1.2mm (shimano /sram),

look for ptfe tubing that'll take it, the mechanic needs to tell you the maximum diameter he thinks will fit

for instance 2mm id / 3mm od tubing is probably easier/cheaper to get hold of in small lengths than something like 1.5mm/2mm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Secteur
    I think part of the problem is that I am not sure exactly what it's called to google it properly!

I will try "Ptfe tubing"
  • Secteur
    I probably need just one 2 metre length, which I imagine will be tricky to buy and will end up having to buy a giant reel probably!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think Park Tool do an internal cable kit. Probably a lot of money for a few bits of tubing, cable and a magnet though...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    there's this...

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/P1343/product

...bit steep vs. buying the same thing as plain old tubing

or there's this with slightly larger od...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5Meters-PTFE-T ... B012T96D4Q
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Secteur
    Googling "Ptfe tubing" has opened up a world of options - I had found nothing after ages spent googling "Gear cable liner" and similar,

No ide what size I need, and no way of finding out now, but I can have a good look and figure it out.

Cheers!
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Can you not make your own by stripping top layer of outer cable?
  • Secteur
    mamil314 wrote:
    Can you not make your own by stripping top layer of outer cable?

No idea - can you?
  • Secteur

Looks exactly like the stuff I need! I just have no idea on size - need to research gear cable diameter and take it from there... Thanks for the link!
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    For gear cable you want the smaller (2.5mm I think it is)
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    https://www.evanscycles.com/nokon-teflo ... m-EV190699

This will fit brake cable and gear cable. The narrower version is a bit tight on most gear cables and a non-starter on brake cable!

Alternatively, buy a 2 metre length of gear cable outer from lbs and then, with a stanley knife cut the plastic outer length ways fora few cms, strip back to expose the inner cable sheath and then just keep going to remove it from the plastic outer.
    Colnago Addict!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    The ideal is to retain the original that comes with the frame, but if you buy a complete bike this probably isn't an option. I bought some on eBay from Taiwan as well.
    The Park Tools set isn't that expensive, and is a well thought out solution. A self-made version with a strong "rare earth" magnet will work as well.
    Some frames have the channels already built in, my Vitus time trial frame for one, so no need for anything .
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    It depends on the bike. For my r872 the cable guide is 2mm I'd so won't let me thread anything through it other than the cable. I'm just going to replace the existing guides with jagwire liner from the elite cable set. The guide tubes can be had from eBay for about £7 delivered for the pair or I might just fit the full set.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I bought a couple of metres of fish tank air supply tubing of eBay a while back. It is/was available in a range of diameters and did the job ..... and was cheap.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    mrdsgs wrote:
    Alternatively, buy a 2 metre length of gear cable outer from lbs and then, with a stanley knife cut the plastic outer length ways fora few cms, strip back to expose the inner cable sheath and then just keep going to remove it from the plastic outer.

This works a treat (especially if you're of the measure once, cut twice inclination and therefore have loads of just a bit too short cable outers cluttering your spares box).
  • Secteur
    Thanks for all the help folks.

A member (cyclosteve) contacted me and has sent me (free of charge) a great big length of the stuff, brand new, wrapped as if it came from a shop, for which I am extremely grateful!

This place is fantastic - I always get the answer I need here, what a fabulous resource!
  • Secteur
    Used this sleeving for the first time today - made an unexpected gear cable change go very smoothly - took just a couple of minutes, couldn't have been easier.