BB386 EVO tool?

jonathanuk
jonathanuk Posts: 67
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I'd like to be able to remove the bearings in order to inspect them, does anyone know which bottom bracket tools I would need? It's an FSA BB386 Mega EVO BC1.37" x 24T, I counted the number of notches which came to 16. Which tools should I be looking for? Would I be better off with a spanner type or a nut type that I can use with a torque wrench? Or both?

I also need tools to remove the crankset, which is FSA Gossamer 386, I can see a large Allen type key hole on one side, what else do I need?

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,789
    Don't know about the BB tool, but for the crankset, all you need is to undo that one bolt on the non-drive side with a 10mm allen key.
    (Then a torque wrench to put it back on after.)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    All I would add to the above is that you don't really need to remove the bearings in order to inspect them. If they run smooth and quiet currently, then they are ok. If they don't, then they're not. Removing them is not necessary in order to establish that.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You need a specific size BB386 EVO tool. You might find your LBS has one and will lend it to you, but I ended up buying one.

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Speed-Ahead ... entries*=0
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jonathanuk
    Thanks all for your help.

I managed to remove the crankset (the bolt was easy to start with but then went very stiff for a while) using an Allen key and a rubber mallet, I may still need a BB tool (I'm a bit of a completist and too lazy to take my bike to the shop!) as I found one bearing holder only finger tight, done it back up finger tight for now just for the test ride and to keep everything together in place.
  • StillGoing
    Where are you location wise? If you're near where I am, you can borrow mine.
  • jonathanuk
    philthy3 wrote:

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to acquire my own tools. I am in North of the UK.

I have read reviews that said the open-ended tool slips, but the convenience of that tool style for tightening up the cups without having to remove the crank sounds very nice to me.

This is the tool I am looking at - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod36381

Has anyone experience or preference for this kind of tool?
  • paul_onabike
    paul_onabike Posts: 194
    The link you have put up is a standard HT11 type tool. If I understand correctly from your description you have a 30mm crank axle diameter and a standard threaded bottom bracket fitted with screw in cups in a bsa30 type. If that is the case then you probably need this tool (as mentioned in a previous post by philthy3)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fsa-megaevo-bb-cup-wrench-id80583.html?gclid=CP7CrqnEt80CFdMV0wodKGAGvQ

They are a bigger size than the MegaExo cups
  • jonathanuk
    Thank you for your reply, I will buy that one. I was looking to see if I could find that one from the previous post for sale in the UK but could only find it on import and/or at vast expense, your link is about half the other prices I found it for so thank you very much.
  • StillGoing
    jonathanuk wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to acquire my own tools. I am in North of the UK.

I have read reviews that said the open-ended tool slips, but the convenience of that tool style for tightening up the cups without having to remove the crank sounds very nice to me.

This is the tool I am looking at - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod36381

Has anyone experience or preference for this kind of tool?

No I used the full ring one as shown. Where you get them from doesn't matter as long as you get the right one.