Will my bike melt if I ride it in the rain?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited June 2016 in Road general
I am so frustrated with the weather at the moment!

Just fitted flat pedals on my road bike to encourage me to ride it more but it keeps raining. However, I'm determined to ride it in the rain now. I'm just a casual cyclist who usually cycles in good weather but I've got a nice bike rusting away from lack of use.

Clothing-wise I'm fine: got loads of rain-proof clothing.

However, from the bike's point of view, after the ride it will be stored in a dry garage - does it just need a wipe down with a dry cloth after cycling in the rain or is there more to it? It would be discouraging if it needs more than 5-10 minutes of 'preventative maintenance' after a ride in the rain.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    I'd be concerned if it was carbon.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • nbalcombe
    nbalcombe Posts: 87
    If you wear a helmet, don't run any red lights and wave at at least three other cyclists you should be fine.

Unless of course it's a carbon bike in which case you're stuffed.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    Bike won't melt in the rain, but it may dissolve, especially if it's carbon.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited June 2016
    At this time of year there's no benefit to waterproof clothing; you either get wet from the rain or sweat like a pig in a boil-in-a-bag outfit, and you end up just as wet. Skin is waterproof, so are bikes so it won't do any damage at all for a bike to get wet and stay wet, unless you ride a mild steel frame with no outer protection. Gears & the chain are exposed, so are brakes, but my experience of many years of apathy and self-preservation is that not bothering with the bike and concentrating on me having a warm shower & dry clothes hasn't caused any lasting damage to the bikes I've left dripping wet in the garage and that are generally dry by the time I can be bothered to go & look. Drip a bit of oil / your lube of choice on the moving bits like chain, FD & RD next time you use it and it'll be fine. The only time I'd fuss over the bike as soon as I get home is if it's not going to be used for a number of days, but drying naturally doesn't seem to have caused any harm.

YMMV, obvs.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    whatever you do don't ride it in the rain, a close second would be to not ride it in the dry.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thats why God invented Turbo Trainers. So you dont get your lovely expensive carbon bike wet. Just dont put said carbon bike on a turbo cos they damage them. Only ever ride your bike in the sunshine but don't cos the UV rays will weaken it eventually.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    CiB wrote:
    At this time of year there's no benefit to waterproof clothing; you either get wet from the rain or sweat like a pig in a boil-in-a-bag outfit, and you end up just as wet. Skin is waterproof, so are bikes so it won't do any damage at all for a bike to get wet and stay wet, unless you ride a mild steel frame with no outer protection. Gears & the chain are exposed, so are brakes, but my experience of many years of apathy and self-preservation is that not bothering with the bike and concentrating on me having a warm shower & dry clothes hasn't caused any lasting damage to the bikes I've left dripping wet in the garage and that are generally dry by the time I can be bothered to go & look. Drip a bit of oil / your lube of choice on the moving bits like chain, FD & RD next time you use it and it'll be fine. The only time I'd fuss over the bike as soon as I get home is if it's not going to be used for a number of days, but drying naturally doesn't seem to have caused any harm.

YMMV, obvs.

What he said. Quick wipe down when you get in (although this can wait and doesn't need to be much although a low pressure rinse is a good idea to get grit off rims, BBs, etc) and then let the bike dry naturally. I find relubing a day or so later will help stop any deterioration and keep up overall performance, but you don't need to go mad: 3in1 on things like cable guides, pivot points or FD/RD, wet lube on chain once every now and again. Anything that looks like rust will usually be superficial (just seen some on my SPDs after going out on a very wet Tuesday night, for example), nothing to worry about.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    rumbataz wrote:

Just fitted flat pedals on my road bike to encourage me to ride it more but it keeps raining. However, I'm determined to ride it in the rain now. I'm just a casual cyclist who usually cycles in good weather but I've got a nice bike rusting away from lack of use.

Clothing-wise I'm fine: got loads of rain-proof clothing.

However, from the bike's point of view, after the ride it will be stored in a dry garage - does it just need a wipe down with a dry cloth after cycling in the rain or is there more to it? It would be discouraging if it needs more than 5-10 minutes of 'preventative maintenance' after a ride in the rain.

Ride it. If it's caked in crud, give it a quick go over with some clearn water. Leave to drip for a bit, then spray something on the chain and run throught the gears to prevent rust spots onthe chain and cassette. It will of course need a proper clean sooner than with dry riding. Not sure wiping it down will really do much.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Thats why God invented Turbo Trainers..

I'm pretty sure it was the other fella you know ?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    After a ride in the rain, get the hose out and quickly give it a light spray all over to get the rain residue and all the crap from the road that's going to be sticking to it off of the bike and components. You can then either wipe it down the same day or when you come back to it the next day, the grime won't have had a chance to harden.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just wipe down and quickly relube the chain to deter rust. Then before the next ride I give it another wipe to remove any excess lube. Everything else just gets to dry naturally. Having full mudguards helps to keep a lot of the crap off the drivetrain / brakes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    hose it off, then wipe dry

can be worth holding the bike on end and upside down to drain any water out of the frame

use a sticky lube so that it stays longer before being washed out
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Jet wash, especially the bearings then a rub down of exposed steel with a salted rag.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you live near the coast, just ride it in the sea to wash off most of the dirt. Use beach sand to scrub off any hard to remove dirt.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you do ride your carbon bike in the wet and wipe dry remember to go with the direction of the fibers.

Also remember not to dry with heat or compressed air as this will affect the resin causing weft or warp.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My bike loved the rain. My leg, not to much. Got it wrong and - SNAP.

I'm now terrified of puddles, manholes, diesel spills and my own shadow.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Fenix wrote:
    Thats why God invented Turbo Trainers..

I'm pretty sure it was the other fella you know ?

Brilliant Fenix......... :evil:
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    rumbataz wrote:

Rumbataz, you're worried about it rusting through lack of use, and worried about going out with it in the rain, presumably in case it will rust!! I thought that now you were happy with your flat pedals, there would be no stopping you getting out.

I tend to just wipe my bike down to dry it off after being out in the rain, and lube the chain and derailleurs mainly. I use my bike with mudguards when rain is forecast. On my steel framed bike I've missed drying off everything and some little bits of rust have appeared :(
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Sell it and buy clean dry one
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Yes, I've had several bikes dissolve whilst riding them in the rain.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Most bikes are dry clean only, or the frame will shrink.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Just ride it through the local car wash (ask for the drying option too), clean bike, clean kit and all nice and dry.

Please note: If it's still raining when you come out of the car wash, repeat until it stops.