Mavic D521 on Deore hubs what are my alternatives?

Klang180
Klang180 Posts: 22
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I am running a classic 2000 GT Arrowhead with same year Deore XT hubs and Mavic D521 rims. Unfortunetly the rims are way past their best and are close to collapse thanks to 16 years of wear. I want to replace the rims and ideally keep the hub and spokes (keep it retro and costs down) but I am finding D521s really hard to come by on ebay. Can anyone suggest a replacement for the D521 (new or used) that i can use instead. I have been looking on ebay for months now and missed out on the few instances of D521s I have seen. This bike has lots of sentimetal value and I'd like to keep it going but i cannot afford to spend too much so any cheap solutions much appreciated. I am just so confused with the options buying rims alone that i am not sure i can buy any replacements confidently.

FYI they are the 36 hole variety.

Thanks for any help you can provide desperate to get my Old Arrowhead back on the streets safe in the knowledge the rims won't buckle in.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A classic rim, but discontinued. The ERD (effective rim diameter) was 535mm, so you need to match that if you wish to reuse your existing spokes. Note that mavic list nipple seat diameter for their rims, which is 3mm less!

The EN521 appears to be the same - but are you running rim brakes or disc?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    From his other thread, rim brakes, hence the 'close to collapse'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The EX721 is basically the same rim, that was the name that the D521 took when Mavic changed their numbering system.

I believe the ERD is the same, but I'd be inclined to go for new spokes anyway.
  • Klang180
    Klang180 Posts: 22
    Just wanted to say thanks to all those who contributed for their valuable answers. I will go for the new versions of those and probably go with new spokes too. I guess I just wanted to keep costs down but if i make decent wheels they will last a long time, just like my old ones did.