Spec Tarmac sizing question

thapanther
thapanther Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking to purchase a new bike to do some road racing. I currently sit at 6'4. Have the opportunity to buy a Specialized Tarmac that is a size 58. The owner says that he is 6'2.5. So about 1.5" difference there. Anyone have any experience with this and could tell me if it will work or not?

I also have the option to buy a Cervelo S3 frame that would be a 61cm. I know there frames well and currently have been riding a P2 in the same size. Any suggestions or tips?

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    It's all about the virtual top tube. Measure that on whatever you are riding ( as long as that's working for you), and go by that.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Within obvious sensible limits, bike sizing doesnt really matter unless you're a pro.

I have comfortably and withiut injury ridden bikes several sizes / cm different and not had an issue.'

Once i did add a slightly longer stem to a sloghtly smaller frame.

When a man is given a choice concerning something mechanical and technical,he will invariably overthink it.

For your size, that frame will almost certainly be fine.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Here is link to the specialized bike sizing chart :-

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/contentPages.asp?pageID=62

It assumes you are of average proportions physically and want an average bike setup. In reality people have various proportions and bike setup is part personal preference. In my case i am very tall but have long back which means to get the setup i want i drop down a size from the size recommended by the chart. At 6ft4 your are on average about middle of a 61cm frame.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I'm just inside 6'4 and have a 61cm Tarmac. I tried a 58 initially but couldn't make the stack work for me. Others may be along to say they're a similar height and have a 58. Any chance you can test it out? Do you have a specialized dealer near you?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift