SRAM and 25MM Wheels

zchalk
zchalk Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help. I bought a new HED wheelset and the width of the rim is 25mm. Unfortunately, my SRAM Rival calipers is a bit small (there might be less than 1mm of clearance with koolstop salmon brake pads). Rather than shave down the brake pad or relocate the inside spacer of the brake pad to the outside, I'd like to upgrade the brake calipers.

Could anyone opine on whether the SRAM Force will work? I know SRAM Red accommodates larger ('modern') rim sizes but it's also 2X the price. If I do go for the SRAM Force or possibly Red, would it work with 10spd SRAM Rival shifters (2012). I know there is some talk about brake pull, but I'm not that familiar.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    you can adjust the brake, use the screw at the side...
    left the forum March 2023
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    As Ugo says, SRAM Rival will fit, you just need to adjust them properly. Your only issue would be with clearance over the additional height of a 25mm tyre and that would be caused by the frame of the bike, not the brake calliper. Width clearance is not an issue.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • zchalk
    Thanks but with the brake cable detached it barely has enough clearance. What screw are you referring to on the side? The cable clamp washer?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    the old sram red calipers don't open as wide as the newer ones, mine would have no clearance at 25mm - a 25mm tyre needs ramming through even with the release lever open

i'd think it's similar for old rival calipers

afaik rival22/force22/red22 all have clearance for wider rims
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    sungod wrote:
    the old sram red calipers don't open as wide as the newer ones, mine would have no clearance at 25mm - a 25mm tyre needs ramming through even with the release lever open

i'd think it's similar for old rival calipers

afaik rival22/force22/red22 all have clearance for wider rims

Odd as I have 2010 SRAM Red callipers on one bike and the only issue is height with a 25mm tyre. Width is fine.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • zchalk
    Just to circle back, I ordered a pair of SRAM Force calipers and they work perfectly (a lot more clearance). In the instruction it even mentions that wide rims are not compatible with Rival Calipers.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Does anyone know if Apex calipers would suit wider rims? I have Tektro brakes that don't currently open wide enough to suit my new wider wheels (could be how they're set up though) unless the release lever is open. I have a pair of Apex brakes that I could fit instead...
  • I've got Force and 25mm tyres.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    I've got Force and 25mm tyres.
    How wide are the rims though? I could put 25s on my CXP22ss and the brake release could be closed, but on my Bortolas, which are wider (poss 23mm) I can't close the lever. That would be the same with 23mm tyres...