170 miles in one day

warren1000uk
warren1000uk Posts: 6
edited June 2016 in Road general
Hi all,

So iam just back from completing John O Groats to Lands End which was amazing. But after that challenge I need something else to test me. I live in Portsmouth and fancied riding to London which is around 85 miles each way. One of my strengths is long distance riding and am used to doing 100 mile days over multiple days but is 170 in one day to far to tackle?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers Mark

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's doable; I once did 130 in a day but was completely empty by the end. With the right sort of prep and starting early enough, 14mph avg for 12 hours would see you home.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It's not particlularly hilly, so should be doable I'd have thought, given your experience.
    Are you looking for a circle route or there and back on the same stretch?
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Just eat plenty and often and don't burn out early and it's a doddle. Relatively.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I am toying with a mid summer 180 miler if time and weather permits. 15 mph average should be doable.
    I'd be doing it on country roads though, don't fancy town/city riding for that distance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I did 140 miles in a day when I was 16. My longest ride in training was 80 miles.

Just take it steady and keep eating and drinking. It helps if your position is right which LEJOG would have found out if it wasnt.
  • Hi guys, thanks for the responses and tips.

Think I will give it a go tomorrow and leave very early so I have enough time, looking for the distance not the speed. I had no issues on my end to end and even going through Dartmoor was OK, very hilly but after that 100 mile day was fine the next day to get on the saddle. My route will be mainly on country roads and is abit hilly but what the hell, worth the challenge!

Suppose it will be good training to work up to a double century :)
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    I am toying with a mid summer 180 miler if time and weather permits. 15 mph average should be doable.
    I'd be doing it on country roads though, don't fancy town/city riding for that distance.

Best of luck mate
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Could you not pick somewhere nicer to cycle to than London? It's a sh1theap at the best of times and the roads in and around it are pretty rubbish even for the car drivers they were clearly designed for.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Could you not pick somewhere nicer to cycle to than London? It's a sh1theap at the best of times and the roads in and around it are pretty rubbish even for the car drivers they were clearly designed for.

+1 Did the Dragon Gran Fondo which is 143 hard miles and took 11 hours, I should think anything up to around 200 flatter miles in a day (and day light during summer months) is doable. I live near Woking and have thought about cycling to Portsmouth, circle the IoW and then cycle back.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Hi all,

So iam just back from completing John O Groats to Lands End which was amazing. But after that challenge I need something else to test me. I live in Portsmouth and fancied riding to London which is around 85 miles each way. One of my strengths is long distance riding and am used to doing 100 mile days over multiple days but is 170 in one day to far to tackle?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers Mark

Actually, why not target 3 loops of the IoW? Great roads!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    170 miles in a day?

On a push bike?

Impossible.

It's not even 300km, so it's a long day ride, that certainly in summer, many can achieve in daylight.

Plenty of people make the step up in distance you're aiming for. As ever, comes down to being on a bike you're comfy on, learning to eat and drink right, pace yourself and finally have enough mental fortitude to deal with any issues.

There's some decent routes for London<->Portsmouth that use some really good countryside, I've done it a few times for ferries etc.
  • I'm planning a solo 180ish mile ride from Doncaster to Essex (Wife's family) at some point in the Summer. My previous longest ride was a hilly 112 mile Peak District ride so 180 flatish miles should be ok.

My last 100 mile ride was sub 6 hours so a steady pace over the 180 ride should see me home.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I live in Portsmouth and fancied riding to London which is around 85 miles each way. One of my strengths is long distance riding and am used to doing 100 mile days over multiple days but is 170 in one day to far to tackle?

Cheers Mark

Just a normal commute.....

http://road.cc/content/news/1574-144-mi ... ns-longest
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    30 odd members of my club (Garforth Velo) did the Way of Roses ride last year, 173 miles for me (one slight detour) all of us completed and raised over £15k for charity. By no means the toughest ride I've ever done... but one of the most enjoyable, it's only a number.

Steve.
  • I always try and get 2-3 big rides (over 150 miles) in every summer if I can. As others have said eat plenty (for me it's every half an hour) and keep hydrated. I also make sure some of that is savoury food, after 8-12hrs in the saddle I get sick of sugary type foods and end up skipping it. A sure way of grinding to a holt. Once you can get past 130miles or so you can do 200, it's more mind over matter imo.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    https://www.strava.com/activities/343309157

I do this route a few times each year. I'm based in Southampton.
  • marcusjb
    Hope the ride is going well for the OP (assuming they have set off as they suggested up thread). Looks a decent day for it (hey, it is always a decent day when riding your bike).

Keep on pedalling and get the job done.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    A few of my club mates did Edinburgh to London (440 miles) in a single sitting last weekend, so yes 180 from Portsmouth is doable!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/606923157

Fundraising account here if anybody would like to contribute https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Lucy-brain2
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    marcusjb wrote:
    Hope the ride is going well for the OP (assuming they have set off as they suggested up thread). Looks a decent day for it (hey, it is always a decent day when riding your bike).

Keep on pedalling and get the job done.

Forecast for Hampshire this afternoon - "Thunderbolt and Lightning, very, very frightening"

Best stay home and watch the footy.
  • marcusjb
    Hope their rain jacket is up to the job then!

Wish I could be out on my bike for a 300km today instead of dealing with the mind-numbing admin shite I have to do today!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I just did Oxford to Manchester on Monday in just under 10 hours. Easy peasy if a bit wet for the first 2/3ds. Solo would be a bit lonely I imagine, though. Who would you contest the intermediate sprints and KOM points with? :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A friend was a Super Randonneur at 16 (200, 300, 400 and 600km events completed).

HAM'R riders are topping 200 miles every day for a year....

Rule No5 applies, just plan food and fluids and keep a sensible pace and you'll be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    My missus did 205 miles in a day 5 months after buying a bike so definitely possible. Kent to Somerset coast to coast into the wind.

Training plan had her increasing mileage each week up to 200 miles per week with a century at the weekend.
  • marcusjb
    I think we can all now agree that 170 miles in one day is very possible indeed, it seems that many here have ridden that distance and lived to tell the tale. Riding long distances at a moderate pace is really rather easier than many people believe. Riding long distances at speed is rather tougher mind you.

Current UK record for 24 hour TT is 541 miles by Andy Wilkinson.

UMCA record by Strasser is 556 miles on a closed road circuit.

Even a slow chap with knackered lungs <
    can ride a fairly good distance in a day.