Highest Annual Mileage Record - women

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
Anyone else following Amanda Coker's effort?
https://www.strava.com/athletes/10033054
She'll beat the womens record in a few months, but the overall/mens record stands at 76,229 miles and she isn't far off the schedule for that to be more than possible.

Analysis
http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/data/hamr/
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    It must be really difficult to mentally overcome the tedium of it after a few weeks. It looks like it is 12 hours a day up and down 5 miles of the same road. Day after day.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Jesus christ. That's bloody awful. The monotony. That's not what cycling should be about at all.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    And it isn't half flat where she is riding. I ride mostly in Essex which is not known for its hills- she has ridden 5.5 times further than me so far this year - but I have climbed twice as much
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    and there I was thinking it was all about eating as much honey as possible
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    imatfaal wrote:
    And it isn't half flat where she is riding. I ride mostly in Essex which is not known for its hills- she has ridden 5.5 times further than me so far this year - but I have climbed twice as much

I don't understand the ride profile. if she is going over the same bit of road over and over then there should be more cyclicality in the profile. but it seems to be a drop and then a rise. could be wrong though.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • The Rookie
    If you look at the segment names she is doing each one about 18 times a day, so the loop is just over ten miles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I'm sure that just like everyone else, it's inevitable that I ride on the same bits of road quite a lot. But I can't imagine doing something like this day in and day out.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    There was something like 350ft of climbing over 250 miles. Even Balham Hill isn't that flat.

Hugely impressive but looks absolutely mind numbing.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    It's Florida, it makes the bonneville salt flats look almost hilly!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    That's well over 1% of her entire life she is wasting for nothing more than the credit for having achieved something pointless - I think you could do a single day event and have just as big a buzz at the end of it. I don't mind doing pointless things but a bit of variety please! Hopefully the book will sell though really I can't see much fun in reading about such a dull way to spend a year.

There ought to be something in the rules for the year record stating that you can only repeat the same road so many times (for the sake of the riders).........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    fat_tail wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

I don't understand the ride profile. if she is going over the same bit of road over and over then there should be more cyclicality in the profile. but it seems to be a drop and then a rise. could be wrong though.

Probably down to the discrepancy between elevation the Garmin measures via air pressure and actual elevation - if she turns on 'correct elevation' in strava then it ought sort itself out. As it is, with the air pressure changing with the weather over the course of the day, it distorts the figures.

As for the record, jesus, that's one boring way to set an annual distance record. Might as well set the record on a turbo trainer... then she could watch the telly.

Still, I understand the hour record can be pretty monotonous. At least that's only an hour though.
  • kingstongraham
    I give it another month.
  • fenix
    I used to know a bloke whose 100 mile rides would be on a 10 mile loop round his village.

I thought he was missing the point - and this one to the millionth degree.

All the things you could see in a year of cycling and she's just going to see the same stretch of road.
  • The Rookie
    I give it another month.
    Why?
  • kingstongraham
    The Rookie wrote:
    I give it another month.
    Why?

I think you can put up with a high degree of tedium for a while when it is in a worthwhile aim, but surely at some point the realisation that what she is doing (in the way she is doing it) isn't worth it will hit home.

Or she'll fall asleep on the bike.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Rookie wrote:
    I give it another month.
    Why?

I think you can put up with a high degree of tedium for a while when it is in a worthwhile aim, but surely at some point the realisation that what she is doing (in the way she is doing it) isn't worth it will hit home.

Or she'll fall asleep on the bike.

Ahh, but the further you get, the less there is still to go and the more you have already invested in the project. Once you are past half way, it becomes very difficult to give up no matter how much you want to. She'll probably never want to see another bike again when she is done though........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fenix
    On her blog she does mention having to change the route slightly to avoid flooding. And gators. It'd be awful if she got eaten by a gator half way through the attempt.

(might explain why she's so fast though !)
  • Can't see the point myself, but on the other hand it doesn't need a large capacity assault rifle to do it.

And being American I can only see that as a bonus.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    there's a fella not to far away from her that rides 100-200 miles a day and not for any challenge he just enjoys it, not always the same route but not a lot of variation and apart from one or two small bridges its all pan flat

I find that hard to understand why
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The Rookie
    I guess if you live in Florida you are used to pan flat rides, must help her bike as she certainly only needs the one chainring (less aero drag) and can loose some other appendages to go with that!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    my father in law used to have a house not far from her, i went for one bike ride in all the years we visited, the combined humidity and heat plus the bugs made for a seriously unpleasant ride.

God forbid you ever need to cross a main road, 10 lanes or monster trucks and MASSHOOF lorries with no concept of cyclists, in fact when I first worked in Boston i was really surprised at just how polite drivers are to cyclists there and how many people cycle.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    rower63 wrote:
    and there I was thinking it was all about eating as much honey as possible
    Just so you know, I got the joke and thought it was quite amusing. Although now the typo in the title has been changed your post looks a bit odd!