Campagnolo Athena Shifter - I think (know) I broke it!

tommygoose
tommygoose Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Ladies and Gents,

Long time reader, first-time poster.

I have recently become the proud owner of a Ribble R872 with Campag Athena groupset, my first road bike having enjoyed a number of years on a Surley LHT (now exclusively for touring).

I have done a few shakedown rides on the road and a turbo session or two. The upshifts and downshifts were good but there was a bit more "noise" than I was expecting both in movement and whilst shifting. I found the source of some of the noise was chain against front derailleur, altered alignment and limit screws all good there.

I was then "playing" with the rear derailleur indexing...and that's when it happend. Don't ask how or why (with hindsight it was so stupid) but in a moment of temporary insanity, in seeking to move the FD into small ring whilst bike on workstand, I pushed the shifter hard outward and not its intended movement inward. There was pressure, followed by a release, a noise and then a small "nugget" of metal hitting the floor (looks sheared, probably 3mm x 3mm). I wonder whether this is the outward "fork" of the shifter which connects into the body of the control lever (see lever shown on page 50 above the bold R toward bottom middle of the page. http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_250_Catalogue_spare%20parts_tools_Campagnolo_2015_part_A_1.pdf

Thankfully the FD shifter continues to work, however it no longer sits directly behind the brake lever, protruding a little outward and has a lot of "play" in an outward direction.

All advice appreciated on what best to do. I am wondering, in no particular order, whether to;

1. Replace entire shifter (probably have to buy a pair?)
2. Source replacement shift lever and try to fit it.
3. Take in into LBS seek their diagnosis and advice?
4. Live with it and see what happens?
5. Do whatever the majority of responses to this post suggests.

Thanks,

Comments