Look Keo Blade Tension

flintlock
flintlock Posts: 105
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Any thoughts on which tension to go for?

I don't race, and have read reviews that they can require a lot of effort to get out of. I've always used the older type keos with tension adjustment but am unsure whether to go for 8 or 12.

Thanks

Comments

• rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Are you talking about Keo Blade 2's ? if so you're looking 12, 16, & 20 Nm.
    I have the 16Nm ones, the 20's are a big tight and I'm not quick enough to get out of them.
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    Yes, or the keo max 2 blades that come in an 8 or 12 version.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    edited June 2016
    I have the 12's and they are fine for me - previously I just used the Keo Max pedals with the tension wound all the way out, and also had no problems with them, although now I may wind them up a bit to try and match the 12's.

The extra tension takes a little bit of getting used to, you just need to be more positive and snappy with the action, so suspect I could get on with 16 as well, but can't really see the need.
    Oh and my 12's had a yellow stripe on them, so it was already decided before I knew about them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I have 16's. If I chose again I'd probably go for 12's. The 16's tension isn't unbearable but probably more effort to release than is really necessary for me.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have the 20s, tight as a whats its doo dar but I've had no problems (yet) getting my feet out. Probably 16 is better.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Mine are the 16s - seem tighter with one pair of shoes than the other - not sure why. Even with the looser of the two pairs (which luckily are the best pair) they are fairly tight but the other pair are downright dangerous to the extent a couple of times I've nearly come a cropper - still good for forcing track stand practice.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I have the 16nm but would go for the 20nm next time
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul