Wheels....

Furzell
Furzell Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi there

I'm after some buying advice for wheels. I hit a pothole and buckled the wheel on my Specialized Allez (winter bike) I also have a Trek Madone 3.5, my main bike, both of which are a couple of years old.

My query is do I:
A. Buy a single/ new set of entry level wheels for the Allez
B. Move the wheels from the Madone to the Allez and upgrade the wheels for the Madone

My query is, what is the spec like on the standard Trek wheels. If I buy a new set for the Trek (I'm looking to spend less than £200) will they be any better than the standard wheels already on there and therefore I should just replace the wheel(s) on the Allez.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

Comments

• fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    how many miles have you done over the couple of years on both bikes ? you might find that you need new wheels anyway.

if you haven't ridden a lot of miles on the trek get something like shimano r501 for your front wheel or get the buckled spokes replaced. depending on how many the new wheel option may be the cheaper route
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    New wheels for the good bike obviously.... :D:D:D
    I'm surprised you needed to ask.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    A bit above your budget,have a look at some Shimano Ultegra 6800,you can get them for £250 online,Iv'e had the earlier ones 6700 and they were faultless,i'm not the lightest at 90kg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2016
    Correct Answer = B

The only thing that is more certain is that you wear your base layer under your bib shorts :wink:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Carbonator wrote:
    Correct Answer = B

The only thing that is more certain is that you should wear your base layer under your bib shorts :wink:

One thread on that is bad enough :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Kajjal wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Correct Answer = B

The only thing that is more certain is that you should wear your base layer under your bib shorts :wink:

One thread on that is bad enough :shock:

I have just had a weird flashback to some odd diagram that (I think) Decathlon produced to show everyone what went where on a bike, and what it was for.

Maybe we need a clothing one too?