Fitting a cassette

jdee84
jdee84 Posts: 284
edited June 2016 in Workshop
I was fitting a cassette to a new set of wheels, first time doing this. I thought I managed to get it on a tightened ok now i'm not so sure. First time out on the bike it looked to me like when in the smaller few cogs that the cassette was wobbling or moving from side to side. I thought this might have been due to it not being tight enough on.

At the weekend I tried to remove the cassette again to check it over and re fit it but when I'm turning the lock ring it turns and then clicks turns another full revolution and clicks but doesn't come off.

I'm guessing this maybe means I over tightened in the first instance and have ruined something.

Any ideas?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    edited June 2016
    Did you start to engage the lock ring using hand pressure only to ensure you did not cross the threads? They do make a ratcheting noise as you tighten them down. I always start them off using hand/finger pressure, then hand tighten using the Shimano TL-LR15 lock ring tool, before using the torque wrench to 25Nm max.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cassettes do wobble slightly on the wheel - that's pretty normal.

You don't need a massive amount of strength putting it on - exactly how much force did you use ?

The lock ring should unscrew - is it loose ? can you prise it off ? Maybe you've cross threaded it ?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 284
    Yeah 11 speed hub and cassette. I'd just never noticed the wobble that i saw before.

I gave it about a three quarter turn maybe to get it on.

That's my thinking that I've crossed threaded the lock ring?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That sounds likely - you'll probably need a new one.

You get much more than 3/4 of a turn on the locking ring - its not tight at all. You should be able to get it off with a bit of force.

Next time - turn it backwards until it clicks to locate the thread. Then tighten.