EU Citizens ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited June 2016 in The cake stop
Hi

Apologies if the below has been asked before (could not find any reference though) and I know its been asked to death in the public domain but does anyone have any realistic ideas on what would happen to EU citizens if we vote Brexit ?

I don't want to get into a debate about pros and cons of Brexit simply some thoughts on what would happen to EU Citizens ?

I am a UK born citizen however my fiance is Slovakian, She moved here in 2007 under the EU free movement rules - She has been in full time employment ever since (as have I) and she has not claimed a single penny from the government (nor have I).

She currently works for Boots HQ as a office administrator.

We have been together for 6 years and have a joint mortgage / Joint Bank Account etc.

Personally I cannot see a mass exodus of EU citizens but we are both worried about the issue - Is she likely to have to get citizenship or some sort of Visa to carry on working in the UK ? She has been here working full time for well over 5 years so my understanding is that she automatically has the status of Permanent Residence although she has not got the card.

Also the fact that we will be getting married next year ? Does this make a difference ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I can't see that any goverment would kick out EU citizens. That'd risk repercussions for all our Ex Pats in Spain etc...
    And also our businesses would hate that.

That said - vote stay and cross your fingers.
  • mr_eddy
    Yep as I thought - I will be voting IN no doubt . Some doom mongers have suggested that citizens from previous Eastern Block countries would need visas to carry on working but not Southern/Western EU citizens such as French and Spanish citizens. Seems bonkers as there are 800'00 Polish citizens alone.

Thanks for the input - Good to hear that others think it would be mad to get rid of all the EU citizens especially given that they pay in more than they take out and that most (i think about 70%) are in employment.

Ta.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,802
    I have a British passport that also says I am an EU citizen.
    Can I vote out and leave the sinking ship by moving to Provence as an EU citizen?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    No one knows..!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    My wife is also from Slovakia (which part does your wife come from, BTW?). The government is highly unlikely to start kicking out EU migrants, but your guess is as good as mine as to what will happen about employment rights, the need for visas, etc. if we vote leave. We don't even know who will be in government if that happens. I can only imagine that David Cameron will quit if he loses this one, so trying to guess what will happen if the Tory party remain in power on leaving and shift to the right is pretty difficult.

You might want to start thinking about citizenship, just to reduce the uncertainty. My wife has done the Life in the UK test (waste of time and money), language exam (even bigger waste of time and money, seeing as she has a Cambridge Proficiency Exam in the language and has been working as an English teaching assistant for the last 5 years) and has now got the permanent residence card. You should be able to get the residence card but it's quite a lot of paperwork. Getting married should smooth the process for you a bit.
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    Hi

Apologies if the below has been asked before (could not find any reference though) and I know its been asked to death in the public domain but does anyone have any realistic ideas on what would happen to EU citizens if we vote Brexit ?

I don't want to get into a debate about pros and cons of Brexit simply some thoughts on what would happen to EU Citizens ?

I am a UK born citizen however my fiance is Slovakian, She moved here in 2007 under the EU free movement rules - She has been in full time employment ever since (as have I) and she has not claimed a single penny from the government (nor have I).

She currently works for Boots HQ as a office administrator.

We have been together for 6 years and have a joint mortgage / Joint Bank Account etc.

Personally I cannot see a mass exodus of EU citizens but we are both worried about the issue - Is she likely to have to get citizenship or some sort of Visa to carry on working in the UK ? She has been here working full time for well over 5 years so my understanding is that she automatically has the status of Permanent Residence although she has not got the card.

Also the fact that we will be getting married next year ? Does this make a difference ?

Any thoughts ?

From this link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 65736.html
    No serious Brexit campaigner has suggested that those who have previously taken advantage of the EU’s freedom of movement principle will be asked to pack their bags. And lawyers point to the Vienna Convention’s protection of “acquired rights” to ease any worries.

David Cameron/George Osborne could remove this 'fear' now by stating a position that current residents will not be affected but they do not as it does not supports their view. The same coming from others in this thread :( . They are playing on people 'fears' to influence the vote. No matter which side are doing this it is a 'Disgusting politics' IMO
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    we always seem to be disagreeing - how can Cameron/Osborne state a position that when, in all probability, they will not be around to honour it?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    David Cameron/George Osborne could remove this 'fear' now by stating a position that current residents will not be affected but they do not as it does not supports their view. The same coming from others in this thread :( . They are playing on people 'fears' to influence the vote. No matter which side are doing this it is a 'Disgusting politics' IMO

If we leave, Cameron and Osborne might not remain in power anyway, so whatever they say about the situation is pretty irrelevant.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    'Disgusting politics' IMO
    So that's Boris and his 350M quid a week claim then ?
  • we always seem to be disagreeing - how can Cameron/Osborne state a position that when, in all probability, they will not be around to honour it?

They can state the governments position as that is who they are. I suppose you can see why it is not in their interest to do so?
  • mr_eddy
    I agree with the above the low level fear tactics from both sides is pretty shameful. BTW my fiance is from Bojnice.

I will suggest to her that she get a permanent residency card. She has considered UK citizenship but its several ££££ so I think we will wait and see what happens - If its vote IN then nothing to worry about but if it is Vote OUT then my understanding is that there is at LEAST 2 years before anything happens so she could apply then - I suspect in reality it will a LOT more than 2 years (I think Canada is still working on a simple trade agreement and that is 7 years and running).

I did notice the 'Acquired Rights' stuff re the Vienna Convention but some have picked holes in this.

I suppose no one will know for sure and that is the worst part.

Worrying times for sure tho.
  • Fenix wrote:
    'Disgusting politics' IMO
    So that's Boris and his 350M quid a week claim then ?

Selective quoting makes you look silly! What did the 10 words before what you have quoted say? :roll:

Anyway, this is not the thread for you to try to twist my words by selective quoting. As the OP requested
    mr_eddy wrote:
    I don't want to get into a debate about pros and cons of Brexit
  • surrey_commuter
    mr_eddy wrote:
    I agree with the above the low level fear tactics from both sides is pretty shameful. BTW my fiance is from Bojnice.

I will suggest to her that she get a permanent residency card. She has considered UK citizenship but its several ££££ so I think we will wait and see what happens - If its vote IN then nothing to worry about but if it is Vote OUT then my understanding is that there is at LEAST 2 years before anything happens so she could apply then - I suspect in reality it will a LOT more than 2 years (I think Canada is still working on a simple trade agreement and that is 7 years and running).

I did notice the 'Acquired Rights' stuff re the Vienna Convention but some have picked holes in this.

you are over-worrying - they are not going to deport the wives of UK citizens, or stop them from working. If she plans on shipping over relatives then that could be more problematic.
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks for all the reassuring info - Future generations is not an issue as her family are very against anything that is not from Slovakia (inc me!) which is why the missus got up and left as soon as she could.
  • surrey_commuter
    we always seem to be disagreeing - how can Cameron/Osborne state a position that when, in all probability, they will not be around to honour it?

They can state the governments position as that is who they are. I suppose you can see why it is not in their interest to do so?

are you suggesting that they pass laws binding their successors to that policy?
  • mr_eddy wrote:

you are over-worrying - they are not going to deport the wives of UK citizens, or stop them from working. If she plans on shipping over relatives then that could be more problematic.

Spot on.

See we can agree ;)
  • surrey_commuter
    mr_eddy wrote:

Spot on.

See we can agree ;)

:shock:
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    My missus is Italian, I've threatened that if I can't stay out late at night I shall denounce her.

Got to look for the positives y'know lads..... :-)
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP