Getting A Puncture While On A Turbo

deejaysee
deejaysee Posts: 149
edited October 2016 in Road general
Yes, thats right.
For the third time last night i got a puncture while on my Tacx Vortex.
30 mins into the ride, tyre goes flat so i pop out the inner tube and find the puncture.

3 times in the past 5 odd months ffs

HOW???????

(Running Conti 4 seasons btw)

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I've had two on my turbo and that's with the turbo tyre on!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I don't know how you could get punctures on a turbo. I would have thought it must be a faulty inner tube valve, or something on the inside of the tyre, or something on the turbo roller.

Maybe you should try it with a proper turbo tyre rather than a road tyre.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Heat build up or something stuck in the tyre?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I don't know how you could get punctures on a turbo. I would have thought it must be a faulty inner tube valve, or something on the inside of the tyre, or something on the turbo roller.

Maybe you should try it with a proper turbo tyre rather than a road tyre.

People turbo'd for decades with normal types before it got all trendy and turbo types came out.

Check the rim tape, spoke areas, valve area, that sort of jazz.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Run my finger around the rim tape and inside the tyre, couldnt feel anything.
    Had a feel around the exact spot where the puncture is and nothing there.
    Once, you could put this down to a random thing but 3 times now?

Baffled
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    I had a series of flats (outside) and eventually took the tyre off and examined it very closely around where the flats were happenining, including turning it inside out. I found a small flint stuck in the tyre tread itself that I could not feel when the tyre was in place on the wheel.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would start by working out if the puncture was on the inside or outside of the tube when compared to the valve. Inside would indicate rim/spoke issue, outer would indicate tyre problem. If you only use the tyre/wheel for the turbo then you could also, after carefully placing the tube inside, mark a line with chalk on the sidewall of the tyre and line that up with the valve and make sure you keep the rotation of the tube right when removing (otherwise you have a 50/50 chance of getting the right area). That way, if you are sure it is a tyre issue (see above) then you will know the exact area whether or not you can see the flint/wire, etc.

Failing that, just swap your tyre for another one and see if the problem goes away. I always have the odd tyre lying around waiting for turbo use or to be cut up for tyre boots, etc.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I have had the same issue, often the puncture is on the inside of the inner tube, but the rim is fine and punctures are in different places. Not sure if it is heat build up or something. I find it baffling.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Crap rim tape if it's on the inside of the tube facing the spokes and a small flint for sure if on the outside
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    That's happened to me a few times; I'm afraid you just have to get on with it.

The trick is to have a spare tube and a pump with you (or at least close enough to the turbo to make no difference).

If you find yourself puncturing either wheel on a turbo and stranded without a pump, it can be a long walk downstairs/upstairs/back inside to collect the things you need.

Be prepared!
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Always check your tyres for flints etc and remove them! On the turbo the tyre heats up and the pressure drives flints in deeper and can cause a puncture on the turbo.
    It's all about bike maintenance.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There's always a reason for the puncture.

Are all three in the same place ? You need to take the tyre off and really look closely. Theres something in the carcass that's working its way through.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Are you using Zwift and cycling over thorns/glass? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Debeli wrote:
    That's happened to me a few times; I'm afraid you just have to get on with it.

The trick is to have a spare tube and a pump with you (or at least close enough to the turbo to make no difference).

If you find yourself puncturing either wheel on a turbo and stranded without a pump, it can be a long walk downstairs/upstairs/back inside to collect the things you need.

Be prepared!
    :lol:
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Reading this alongside your other thread regarding it being too hard to fit tyres back on the rim, I'd say you were pinching the inner tube
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    Not continental inner tubes are they? I've had problems with the core leaking on them (the valve became lose, so I had to tighten it with pliers). Happened to me 3 times before I figured out the issue thanks to a post online.

If I ever buy conti's now, I always tighten the valve core first before inflating. Been fine ever since.

Oh just read that you found the puncture each time so this may not apply - still good to know though :-)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    IC. wrote:
    Reading this alongside your other thread regarding it being too hard to fit tyres back on the rim, I'd say you were pinching the inner tube

I have a feeling this could be the winner!
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Started my winter training and this has happened to me 4 times in the last few weeks on different tyre, inner tube and wheel combinations. I have messaged tacx who have asked for pictures of the turbo as well as an audio recording of the turbo in use. Will see what they make of it but its really odd. I have an old Tacx Satori that I have used for years and only started having issues in the last couple of years.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Had 2 punctures on the turbo, also vortex, in exactly the same place to the point that the hole was bang in the centre of the previous patch. Never found anything in the tyre (that tyre had never actually been outside either), put a few extra layers of tubeless rim tape (very strong) around the wheel for good measure.

2nd puncture was in the just at the end of a zwift race in which I was doing pretty well, I was gutted. I now keep a spare bike next to the turbo, only takes 20 seconds or so to swap them over in a an emergency.... ;)
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    I've had this before - tracked it down to a patch delaminating due to heat.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Check your settings on the turbo.

You must have 'Added Realism' mode switched on. I'd say you'll be fine once you turn it off.
  • This is a problem with the likes of Zwift, you get a puncture half way up the mountain, what do you do? You can't walk on Zwift so you have to fix it otherwise you'll never get back home.