Inner tubes with short valve & removable core??

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have just collected a new set of Enve 3.4 SES wheels and am looking to fit my tyres. The wheels come with a couple of sets of Silca valve extenders which i have used on previous carbon wheels and loved as they stopped all rattles - but at 35mm and 45 mm rim depth, the 3.4s seem too shallow to allow / need the extenders.

Any Enve wheel owners - what have you done? I was looking for inner tubes with very short valves and a removable core but they dont seem to exist - so whats the point of supplying the extenders? The obvious answer is to sort out some tubes with 50/60mm valve stems and resolve the rattling another way

Paul

PS wheels look amazing and loving the carbon Enve hubs 8) 8)

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I think all continental inner tubes had removable valve cores.
  • Wirral_paul
    They do indeed but are 42mm or more in length - so no good for the 3.4s. Seems there's a few valves as short as 32mm around but none with removable cores. I've ordered some tubes with 50mm valves (for the 35mm deep front) and 60mm (for the 45mm deep rear wheel) now. Can't understand the need for the extenders but hey ho - they cam in a nice bag at least
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Before you install the inner tubes wrap some insulating tape around the valve for the depth of the rim. That will stop any rattling, well, it does for me.
  • Wirral_paul
    I'll be giving that a go for sure - if heat shrink tubing is too thick. Cheers
  • sub4
    sub4 Posts: 14
    How spooky. I have just got a pair of 3.4s & was pondering the same thing. 2 sets of extenders, why?

Anyway, it became quickly apparent that the nice rubberized part of the extender was a sleeve, so I removed it (bowl of warm water) & fitted it to a 60mm valve stem (for the back wheel). Open up a paper clip slide it between rubber sleeve and valve stem & rotate. It will thread on. It just fits the valve hole of the wheel.

So if you don't mind sacrificing the nice extender, this is your solution.

History suggests that I only puncture once per year (touches wood), so this is a viable solution for me. Also a good reason to take your scrap inner tube home-based to recycle the sleeve.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Insulating tape, its the simplest option and is very neat. No point overcomplicating things.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have the 4.5's and use the valves. However, have also used these on other wheels - https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/rrp-v ... oClCrw_wcB