Bike Taxi

N1TRO
N1TRO Posts: 103
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
I guess this is as good a place to start a conversation as any on this point, so...

Say I want to start a bike taxi service in my home town. I live in Maribor, Slovenia, a place with around 150.000 inhabitants. While we may not be on par with bigger European cities regarding cycling culture, I think things are moving slowly for the better and the townsfolk could benefit from such an addition - especially as there are no such companies around yet.

Now I'm seeking advice - there are bound to be people on this forum who have first-hand insight, either as a taxi cyclist or as a user of their services. At first sight the situation seems pretty straight forward; get a suitable bike, take care of the legal stuff and hit the streets (say we'll worry about the promotional aspect, pricing etc. later). The initial investment isn't that high and running costs aren't either, since all you have to worry about is the actual bike.

Then considering the bike itself, one of the suitable candidates is by a Danish manufacturer called TrioBike, pictured below.

309okth.jpg

I'm not sure about the tarp, but it can be removed and the rig itself features sturdy construction, disc brakes and a battery, which can come in handy. There are other designs, like the one where the frame of the bike is encased in a modernesque plastic body that makes it look nothing like a bike. Nice to have a roof over your head, but still.

2e0r3bs.jpg

And then there's the typical Indo-Chinese Rickshaw design, again something I'm not very fond of. Can't really talk too much to the people you're riding with. Looking back while riding a bike never did anyone any good. And the passengers have to look at your sweaty backside all the time instead of enjoying the surroundings. Plus most of these bikes look quite cheap.

29kx8jc.jpg

Anyone know of any other manufacturers who make such bikes? I'm mostly referring to the topmost design. I'd be grateful for other general insight and tips on the matter as well. Thanks in advance for contributing.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Classic33
    Classic33 Posts: 374
    Have a look at https://www.facebook.com/DUBLINRICKSHAW/

What you'll have to consider as well in your running costs include:
    Spares, tyres & innertubes.
    Wet weather. How are you going to stay dry, get dry should you be caught in the rain. What about the passenger(s)?
    How easy is it to dry out the seating area?
    The simple act of parking up.

As for talking to the passengers, your attention should be on the road.
    Classic
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to look at what you want to achieve and the market you have.

While 1 and 2 above may be more practical/'pleasant' it may be that the clients actually want is something more than transport and something equating to an experience when number 3 would have its selling points.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Wait a little while until London bans them and there might be a lot of cheap ones available!

i think I read in the evening standard that a ban was being proposed by some politician.