Ass Saver Mudguard Overload

DRcyclist
DRcyclist Posts: 5
edited June 2016 in Road general
Hello all,

Before I get into it, I know these fenders aren't the gold standard to keep you dry as a bone, but they're pretty good as a 5 quid fix for a town zipper. Have asked this question to a few people and lots have just gone on about how shit they are as a replacement for full front and back guards but really been of no use!

So, I managed to find a job lot of these mudguards (100) online and basically want to sell them on for a reasonable price. I was thinking the most moral place would be a local bike shop, make a quid or two on each one and let them sell them for RRP (£6ish) or less if they'd like. However, have heard back radio silence from pretty much all the shops here in Bristol. My basic aim at the start was to try and raise enough to get my bike fitted with full 105 - still a couple hundred quid off!

Any ideas for selling a job lot of these? I've tried eBay, Gumtree, various Facebook groups etc. but no show past selling a couple to local riders.

Thanks for having a read, hope you can help!

Cheers,
Dyl

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The thing is, the reason you can't shift them is that nobody would be daft enough to buy them in a job lot. Oh, hang on...
  • DRcyclist
    Funny.

What makes it inherently daft, Imposter?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm just saying there's a reason why you can't shift them. Most LBS won't touch them as they risk compromising their distributor relationship if they do. So you are left with the general public, most of whom are probably not looking to save a couple of quid on something which only costs £4-6 in the first place.

Maybe organise a sportive and gives these away free in the goodie bags.
  • DRcyclist
    Interesting about LBS and distro relationship - I expect that wouldn't apply if they don't sell them currently? I'm not into the racing scene enough to organise a sportive, unfortunately. Would contacting someone that is be a reasonable avenue to go down, or would that be futile?

Selling to GP, eBay/Gumtree etc. the best ways for that? I wouldn't mind doing that but packaging a load of these separately is a bit of a pain!

Everyone was new once; thanks for your help though.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    been around years, well publicised, last indefinitely, limited market, low value

i suspect most people who want one have it, that leaves you with the replacement trade and new punters

fwiw i've got three, two original, one improved version, they work well enough, doubt i'll need to buy another

with a hundred, the value is too low to spend money advertising

you've bought a job lot of things that are going to take a long time to shift, and may well burn a lot of your time for low return

the sportive idea above might work, or you could try emailing clubs etc. to see if they're interested in buying 10-20, then at least you cut down on distribution time/cost
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Halfords were selling them for £1 a while back, Aldi were selling similar for £2 and have now reduced them to £1 so i can only imagine these shops can get them very cheaply.

how much did you pay for them?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DRcyclist
    @Chris Quid a pop, but they're the original brand. Cheapest I've seen them online is £4ish.

@sungod Thanks for the suggestion. I'll fire off some e-mails to some local Bristol clubs and see what they think. I figured they could be good for a small organisation as an offer e.g. free when you sign up - or the like.
  • danny788
    danny788 Posts: 8
    Even if a distributor doesn't supply ass saver to LBS, it would likely supply a competing product.
    Do you know what the usual mark up for the product is? As an unknown in the cycle business, I'd imagine the discount you would need to offer will kill any profit.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Stick with ebay etc and offer to sell them as singles as well as blocks of 5 and 10.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I'd buy 5 for 10 quid including P&P, if you stick em on ebay.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think Most bike bits run at 50% margin.

And if we are in the UK they're mudguards - not fenders.

I'm sure you'd be able to get £3 on ebay if you wanted to.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    twice recntly i found one in the verge, looked at it , put it back.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow