Another Wheel Thread

eric_draven
eric_draven Posts: 1,192
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking at buying some wheels to go in my new road bike,as an upgrade to what is in it at the moment,i was using Ultegra 6700's in my last bike and was really happy with them,as they don't flex with my 90kg weight,only reason for not swapping them over is they won't accept 11sp cassette,i have been looking at Ksyrium Elites and Shimano RS81 C24 wheelsets,has anyone had experiences with both sets,I don't race and never will,I do do 70-80 mile hilly rides on a regualar basias,also going to the alps for 10 days road riding this year as well

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Since you have got nearly £500 then I would be tempted to go for the same as my recent purchase: Archetype H+ Son, built onto DA hubs. I suspect you could get away with a similar count to mine (always worth checking with an expert like Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic first), in which case 24/28 built with Laser/Race spokes will get you a cracking set of wheels around 1650g. Great level of comfort and handling, decent thick brake track that take the battering on wet hilly UK rides and hubs that will last longer than cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust.

I am a reasonable weight (65kg) but find that a wheelset of this weight does not hold me back and the wheels feel every bit as good climbing as a pair of RS80s I had (well, still have the one but it is just for turbo). The advantage of a mid spoke count is that a single failure shouldn't mean the end of a ride and you could even order a couple of spokes spare when you place the initial order so that any spoke failure in the middle of a 10 day cycling holiday would enable you to simple replace it yourself.

They do look good out of the box and ok after a few hundred miles...but they will look a bit gash in-between as the anodised brake track wears off.

When the rims wear out you could replace them with something like Pacenti SL23v2 (perhaps running tubeless?) or maybe even go for them first around if you don't mind a little swearing on tube replacement, which will bring the weight down by something like 100g (ish, not sure though).
  • eric_draven
    I should of said i have about £350 to spend,as this is roughly what i can pick up these wheels for new
  • Bobbinogs
    Ah, if you can get the Ksyrium Elites (with the latest wide rim) for £350 then that is pretty good. Are you sure they aren't the previous model?
  • eric_draven
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Ah, if you can get the Ksyrium Elites (with the latest wide rim) for £350 then that is pretty good. Are you sure they aren't the previous model?

Merlin are doing 2016 black ones at £360 at the moment
  • Bobbinogs
    That's a good price. I can see them at £400 on there, which is still good. Have you got a discount code?
    I would definitely rate them above the RS81 due to the more up to trend rim. Then again, Ultegra hubs are very good but many find the RS81/80s a tad flexy which would rule them out for you. I never had a problem with them but I think that was due to my lighter weight/lower power.
  • eric_draven
    The Ksyriums are £400 with an extra 10% in the basket,flex was thing i was worried about as I had read somewhere the RS81 were not the stiffest of wheels,will be ordering some Mavics,have found some at £320 in Germany just bit of a pain if i need to use the warranty,thanks for the advice Bob